What do my biopsy reports indicate?

Dr. Richa Agarwal

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 3 Nov 2017 in Women's Health
Question: I am 58 years old and have had 2 Biopsys of the uterus in the last 3 months, the last one just last THURSDAY. I just received a call from my Gynocologist office nurse with the results that I use to have Simple Hyperplasia but it has turned into Complex Hyperplasia, and the Doctor wants me to come in next week to discuss getting a possible DNC. What are my chances of getting Cancer of the Uterus and Is a DNC really necessary.
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes, D&C is necessary.

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am,
Thanks for trusting us with your healthcare.
I have gone through your history and understand your concerns.

Endometrial hyperplasia is simple thickening of the endometrial lining of the uterus and it occurs due to unopposed action of estrogen without progesterone (due to anovulation in perimenopausal or postmenopausal women).

In your case, as you are already taking progesterone still your thickness change from simple to complex, you need the D&C to see the effect of progesterone and we get a good amount of tissue for examination to rule out cancer before going for any surgical procedures.

Your chance of uterine cancer with complex hyperplasia (not atypia) is almost 3% which is very low.

Hope you found this useful, feel free to ask more information.

Good luck

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee