• question-icon

    Suggest treatment for endometrial hyperplasia

Posted on Fri, 27 Apr 2018 in Cancer
Question: Hi, I’m a difficult case. I’m 53, unsure about menopause because I was bleeding daily for a few months. My regular gynecologist could not do a pap smear on me because he could not get to my cervix. I’m told I have a long cervix. He sent me to see a gynecologist oncologist. I had a d and c done in September. My biopsy came back benign but the doctor said I have endometrial hyperplasia. He wanted to put me on birth control pills but I could not do that as I had a blood clot in my left calf from taking birth control pills when I was 21. His new plan of care is to use a Mirena iud. I went to his office last week and he could not get it in. He tried for 30 minutes. At that point I asked if this was really necessary. He said yes because if I don’t I’ll get cancer. He actually said that over and over. He wants me to go to the operating room to put the Mirena in. I really don’t want to do it. Do you think it’s true that I’ll get cancer if I don’t get the Mirena? I realize I’m not in front of you to examine me but I was just wondering what you think. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Mirena will help.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
Endometrial hyperplasia is associated with heavy and irregular bleeding. Persistent hyperplasia can increase your risk of getting an endometrial cancer. The hyperplasia of endometrium and the irregular bleeding episodes that you are having can be controlled using Mirena. Since the hormonal pills are not an option for you mirena is a good option. If this cannot be inserted then endometrial ablation needs to be considered to overcome the hyerplastic endometrium and irregular bleeding.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Answered by
Dr. Rakhi Tayal


Practicing since :2001

Answered : 13800 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Pap smear

doctor1 MD

I had two daughters by ceasarian section, the last 15 years ago and in that area I feel swollen and pain. I am 52 years old and am going through...

doctor1 MD

Hi! I ve being having this yellowish vaginal discharge with a bad odor I had done a vaginal culture plus a pap smear both came out negative though...

doctor1 MD

My wife is a 51 yrs old she had heavy bleeding for 3 days and now ther is spotting for 2 days A transvaginal u/s was done it showed adnexae cyst on...

doctor1 MD

I ve been having lots of medical issues within the past year. I recently moved to a very cold place after having lived in Florida for about 15...

doctor1 MD

On 2014 i Had a TVS. Result was normal Pelvic utz. Fibroid is 21mm x 10 anterior subserosal. Is this cancerous? I’ll have it check after 3 years...

doctor1 MD

Hi I've had light bleeding for almost 2 weeks now it started as light pink then orangish red and it turned darker red but i only bleed in the early...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

185 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Rakhi Tayal
  • Q - Sex after candid v3 treatment

  • Q - What causes breasts to shrink and invert nipples?

  • Q - What should i do for chest infection and high BP ?

  • Q - What should i do to know whether i am HIV infected ?

  • Q - Does increased smoking and alcohol intake during stress increase heart...

  • Q - Is it possible to resolve monoamine oxidase deficiency by controlling diet?

  • Q - Late menstrual cycle, negative pregnancy test, laparoscopy

  • Q - Are there any side effects of abortion pills ? How long will it take to...

  • Q - Cut caffeine, low BP, frequent bloating, extreme fatigue, slight pain in...

  • Q - What post surgical care is needed following a spinal cord stimulator...