Suggest treatment for endometrial hyperplasia

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 27 Apr 2018 in Cancer
Question: Hi, I’m a difficult case. I’m 53, unsure about menopause because I was bleeding daily for a few months. My regular gynecologist could not do a pap smear on me because he could not get to my cervix. I’m told I have a long cervix. He sent me to see a gynecologist oncologist. I had a d and c done in September. My biopsy came back benign but the doctor said I have endometrial hyperplasia. He wanted to put me on birth control pills but I could not do that as I had a blood clot in my left calf from taking birth control pills when I was 21. His new plan of care is to use a Mirena iud. I went to his office last week and he could not get it in. He tried for 30 minutes. At that point I asked if this was really necessary. He said yes because if I don’t I’ll get cancer. He actually said that over and over. He wants me to go to the operating room to put the Mirena in. I really don’t want to do it. Do you think it’s true that I’ll get cancer if I don’t get the Mirena? I realize I’m not in front of you to examine me but I was just wondering what you think. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Mirena will help.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
Endometrial hyperplasia is associated with heavy and irregular bleeding. Persistent hyperplasia can increase your risk of getting an endometrial cancer. The hyperplasia of endometrium and the irregular bleeding episodes that you are having can be controlled using Mirena. Since the hormonal pills are not an option for you mirena is a good option. If this cannot be inserted then endometrial ablation needs to be considered to overcome the hyerplastic endometrium and irregular bleeding.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D