Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

How long after unprotected sex should I get tested for herpes or HIV?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 3163 Questions
I had unprotected sex with my girlfriend. She has had a few boyfriends earlier and I got into this while I was drunk. Now I am scared of all sorts of things from herpes to hiv. This happened 4 days ago and I am really scared. Could you please tell me a right time to test and suggest a good place to test?
Also, I think I have a sore on my lip and slight tingly feeling on my genitals. I read these are symptoms for herpes, but I am not sure if I am imagining these after I read them.
Posted Mon, 18 Feb 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later
Firstly,you definitely should worry about your own health. If you are at risk,getting regular check ups is a reasonable idea. Now,HIV and Hep B are transmitted through body fluids and blood.So they symptoms dont show so soon. They can be detected by Blood test only at this early stage. You can get them done asap. Other common stds are herpes, syphilis,gonorrhea, etc which can also be tested easily in the lab. Symptoms also wont show so early. At least a week after infection,depending on the virulence.You can be tested at any in your city,and apart from them, any reputed lab like Apollo,Metropolitan, Ranbaxy, Lal Path labs etc will do the tests. But you need a doctor's prescription.I suggest you see your GP and get them prescribed.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: How long after unprotected sex should I get tested for herpes or HIV? 20 minutes later
Thanks XXXXXXX for that quick answer. I am new to hyderabad, could you suggest someone I could consult from you network here? I'd like to go to a good doctor asap. And how much should I expect as a cost to test the whole spectrum of STDs?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 3 hours later
Apollo in Hyderabad is very good. The cost of the labs will be 1000+ if done at a reputed centre. I suggest that you get the HIV and HepB done first. The other stds you can test for in case you develop any symptoms like genital warts, genital sores,fever,rashes,itching ,blisters etc. In the future, remember protection is half the worry gone.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Sexual Diseases

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor