How is mifepristone and misoprostol used to terminate pregnancy?

Dr. Soumya

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Women's Health
Question: should I wait 48 hours before repeating medication after the intake of the initial 600 15 hours ago .or should I go ahead with the medication of 1 mifipriston & 4 misoprostol immediately.

I really want to terminate this pregnancy since I have attempted it already
Answered by Dr. Soumya 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Transvaginal ultrasound scan

Detailed Answer:

As i see you have already been adviced about taking these medicines the correct way.

I would like you to get an ultrasound scan before taking these tablets to know if there is ectopic pregnancy.

Since you were unsuccessful at first attempt, you should not be attempting it again. You must confirm the location of pregnancy before going ahead with self medication.

Self medication for abortion is dangerous and life threatening especially when pregnancy location is not known. Please get transvaginal scan done to know the location of pegnancy before any other interventions.

Dr. Soumya
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Soumya 21 minutes later
since I took the medicine (misoprostol) 15hrs again. can I still go for the ultrasound scan today.? ie go to the hospital right away?
Answered by Dr. Soumya 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get Transvaginal Scan done soon

Detailed Answer:

Yes. Please go to hospital. Get the transvaginal ultrasound scan done. Preferably get examined by gynecologist if possible as it is important.

Let me know the report.

Dr. Soumya
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Soumya 4 hours later
I have done the scan, too early to show pregnancy. also did blood simply pregnancy test it was positive. should I go ahead with the mifipriston and misoprostol medication immediately?
Answered by Dr. Soumya 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Please repeat blood test after 48 hours. If it is doubling then you csn go ahead considering it as normal pregnancy.

If not doubling it could be ectopic pregnancy. You should not take the medicine in that case and opt gor colour doppler ultrasound scan for ectopic pregnancy.

Hope your doubt is cleared.

Dr. Soumya