How can chapped lips be treated despite using chap sticks and steroid ointments?

Question
I have terribly chapped lips that crack and peel. I have been to numerous doctors including a dematologist. I have tried steroid ointments, chap sticks, vasoline and every other kind of product possible. But nothing works. Can you help?
Fri, 20 Apr 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Cause to be determined

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern. There is a number of reasons to consider to figure out the cause for this condition.
Dehydration, lack of humidity in the air, prolonged sun exposure can all be plausible causes. Drink more fluids and use a home humidifier.

Sometimes, constant licking of the lips and exposure of the skin on the lips to saliva, may lead to a fungal infection that manifests as dry, flaky skin on and around the lips. In this case, steroid ointments, chap sticks or vaseline do not not help. Coconut oil has considerable antifungal properties and can safely be used on the lips. I recommend to used it three or more times per day on and around the lips. Alternatively, oregano oil diluted with olive oil, used three times per day on the area can be very helpful.

If, despite all these measures, the chapped lips do not heal, please see a dermatologist for further investigation.

I hope this was helpful. Let me know if you have further questions.

Wishing you good health and all the best.