How accurate is RNA HIV test at 7 days?

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in HIV and AIDS
Question: How accurate is pma RNA HIV test at 7 days? On line I read 95/99%. I had protected vaginal sex w a prostitue. The condom did not break and was on the whole time. I understand from on line my risk is about 1/1000, is that correct? I am hoping the RNA HIV test is accurate bc I would really like to do this. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Least risk.RNA PCR is specific

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for query. I am Dr Bharatesh D Basti answering your query.
Yes it is right RNA PCR test is 99% specific and you can allay the fear almost 99%.This is the best test at this point of time to rule out HIV at the earliest stage.
It can be done as early as after 3 days, it will be more accurate after 10 days.
It detects the RNA material of Virus.
As you had protected intercourse you need not worry.The range for normal unprotected vaginal intercourse is from 1/200 to 1/1000.So it is still lesser with protected intercourse.
so you can allay fear about HIV.
Still you can go ahead with PCR after 7 days or even after 2 weeks just to relieve your anxiety
You can get back to me for any clarifications.
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh

Follow up: Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 10 minutes later
Thanks. I will have the test for peace of mind. I did perform oral on her unprotected like an idiot. Reading the San Francisco city clinic risk chart it shows by biggest risk is herpes and lists the chances as rare. Do you know the chances or contracting herpes this way? I have no clue if the woman had anything r not. Just assuming the worst. I am going to a lab corp using std check.com for the test. They said the test is a PMA RNA test and is FDA approved. Is that the same as a pcr RNA test?
Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Go ahead with test.It is same.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for follow up query.
you can go ahead with PCR just to relieve your anxiety.
Yes risk of herpes will always be there if active lesions are present.The amount shed from active lesions is 100 to 1000 times greater than when it is inactive.
PMA is a chemical(dye)used in PCR .It is FDA approved.
You can get back to me for any clarifications else please close the discussion and rate.
wish you good health.
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh

Follow up: Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 8 minutes later
Thanks. What is the risk if legions were not there? Also I have read HIV from performing oral on a girl is almost non existent, is that correct? Any stats on risk if oral is performed on a positive girl? I already had test done for gonerha and clyhamidia and am waiting on results. Is yes risk low for those 2 as well? One last thing, when can I get a herpes test? I have no symptoms but would like to be sure. Thanks again

Sorry one more thing. I have heard that the RNA can produce a lot of false positives, is that correct? Can it produce false negatives as well? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Specific test :RNA PCR.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for follow up query
The exact statistics cannot be assessed for those without lesions as many will be asymptomatic.it is definitely almost least.
Oral sex risk is almost nil until unless there are abrasions or ulcers.
you can almost allay fears about chlamydia and gonorrhea.
Herpes genitalis usual incubation period is 2-5 days may take up to 2 weeks.so manifestation can occur within this period. The diagnosis is clinical .even can be done by culture or PCR of lesions if available. The specimen is from the scraping if lesions.
Antibodies Can be tested from blood in convalescent period i.e during healing phase IGM.which may be non specific.IgG specific but may take weeks to months to appear and is specific.
RNA PCR has high specificity means it has almost nil false negative.implies it tells truly that the person without disease in fact does not have disease.False positive is less.
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh

Follow up: Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 4 hours later
Thanks. What about risk of syphlyis? I am going in for HIV RNA test in next few days. How soon can syphlyis be detected?
Brief Answer:
VDRL initially.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for follow up query.
The risk for syphilis is unlikely as protected intercourse.
Usual chronology is non treponemal tests like VDRL or Rapid tests if found positive then go for treponemal tests FTA-abs and TPHA.PCR also can be done.
Treponemal antibody tests usually become positive two to five weeks after the initial infection.
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh

Follow up: Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 21 hours later
I understand that the protected sex helped me but I did perform unprotected oral sex on her. Stupid I know. If she did have syphlis what chances are that I contracted it from oral. There are a lot of different opinions I have read. Can I have a syphlis test at 10 days? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
unlikely from oral.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for follow up query.
Syphilis transmission is unlikely by the oral sex and it is very rare.the partner should have active lesions or secondary syphilis.you would have noticed rash in partner if so.
You can go for tests which is likely to be negative.as incubation period range is 9 to 90 days.
You can get back for any clarification else please close the discussion and rate.
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh

Follow up: Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 6 minutes later
Thanks. Last question I promise. I am going in for HIV RNA test 10 days exposure. If that is negative can it be considered conclusive? I read these test are conclusive 9-11 days. One last thing. I read RNA HIV test have high false positive results. Can you share the chance of a false positive?
Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes possible but unlikely .

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for follow up query.
It is highly specific so it will tell correctly if you do not have disease .so be happy when it comes negative and it is highly correct when test is negative.
False positive range is 1 to 10 % maximum according to different studies you think of it only when it comes positive .why be anxious now without testing and which is unlikely.
You can ask for any clarification else close the discussion and rate.
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh

Follow up: Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 4 minutes later
Wow. 10% possibility seems so high for a false positive. I'm sorry to be so worrisome. Just sick to my stomach bc I made a horrible drunk decision and am afraid it will ruin my life thanks for your patience with me
Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
wish you good health. relax.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you
You need not worry .it will come negative and it means true negative so do not worry.
Positive chances are rare in your situation. Why worry now.
Relax .wait for result.it will be negative.
You can get back for any clarification else close the discussion and rate.
Wish you good health.
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh