Does Alprim interact with contraceptive pills?

Dr. Eni

Posted on Fri, 18 May 2018 in General Health
Question: I had sex last night. Can feel a urinary tract infection coming on. I have alprim antibiotics , if I take them today will
This affect my pill
Answered by Dr. Eni 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Very low risk of contraceptive failure

Detailed Answer:
Dear patient,
Any kind of antibiotic will damage your intestinal flora and thus decrease slightly the absorption of estrogens from your pill.
If you can wait for two more days without having sex, then after this period of time you can start taking antibiotics like alprim, and you will be safe from getting pregnant from last night's sex.
Or you can start the antibiotic tomorrow and have protected intercourse until you finish the treatment and also 2 weeks after that, just to be sure.
As I answered in the beginning, the risk of contraceptive failure is very low, but being careful is never wrong.

Hope I have answered your question. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health!
Manoku Eni M.D.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T