Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
159 Doctors are Online

High BP and enlarged liver. Diagnosed with cysts in kidney. Slurred speech, imbalance and back pain. Why?

Nov 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 5574 Questions
hi. i am confused on the medical path to take to diagnose my fathers illness. he has high BP and enlarged liver for the last 5-6 years. Last year he got a back fracture of D12 bone whic has not healed completely till now. the doctor said he has got 80% joint but remaining 20% is still taking time. also he was diagnosed with 3 cyst in kidney. now he has the following symptoms - his health has degenrated very significantly in the last 2 weeks. he has got slurred speech, not able to stand and walk properly (fell 2 times yesterdY),, very weak, depressed, pain in the back. now we are not sure whom to refer to as neither of the 3 doctors (ortho, liver, kidney) is able to give direction. also the symptoms above to me look like much more than rpthe 3 issues, point to a significant problem with brain functioning. whom should i XXXXXXX and what should i do. regards XXXX delhi india

Posted Tue, 12 Nov 2013 in Stroke
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
My reply is below

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting the query regarding your father.

I agree that his current symptoms look neurological, possibly related to brain dysfunction. These symptoms could occur in cases of brain stroke involving the posterior circulation (back of brain, cerebellum, brainstem, etc). Slurred speech, imbalance and weakness are all symptoms of the above problem.

So, I suggest you consult a neurologist first and undergo evaluation including MRI of the brain.

Few other tests such as sodium and glucose levels, kidney and liver function tests would also be required.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY:

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: High BP and enlarged liver. Diagnosed with cysts in kidney. Slurred speech, imbalance and back pain. Why? 23 hours later

Thanks for your quick reply. Can you please help understand the use of sodium/glucose test. Also if you could suggest a neurologist in Delhi or noida or gurgaon for reference.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
My reply is below

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

Sodium and glucose levels can be checked in blood test. If abnormal, then it can be corrected.
You can consult Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Neurologist at Apollo Hospitals Delhi.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor