What causes leakage of stool from rectum into vagina?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Thu, 3 Aug 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I think I saw poop come out of my vagina an hour ago ..is that possible,
What should I don
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Rectovainal fistula.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
I am a Gastroenterologist and would be answering your query.
As per your query most likely you are having a Rectovaginal fistula.
Vaginal canal lies in front of Rectal canal in abdomen.In some case a connection called fistula is established between the two canals causing leakage of stool from rectum into vagina.

Technically a rectovaginal fistula is an abnormal connection between the lower portion of rectum(which stores poop) and your vagina leading to leakage iof bowel contents through the fistula, allowing stool to pass through your vagina.

Test suggested-
Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). This test creates images of soft tissues in your body. MRI can show the location of a fistula.
Fistula tracts must be treated because they will not heal on their own. There is a risk of developing cancer in the fistula tract if left untreated for a long period of time. Most fistulas are simple to treat and require surgical closure of tract of fistula.

Hope i answered your query well.
Feel free to follow up.
Thanks!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 17 hours later
I went to the er today
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up.

Detailed Answer:
What they said?
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
The said it looks good and gave me antibiotics , pain meds and told me to follow up with gi
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,
See if its poop in vagina then it can't be normal.
As of now take medications as suggested and wait and watch if episode repeats itself just go for a MRI to rule out fistula.

Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 8 hours later
Ok , the ct was normal and i havent had that happen anymore . What can i do to raise my pottasium
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up.

Detailed Answer:
Hey again,
If CT is normal.It can't be fistula.

For raising potassium Take lots of coconut water and orange juice to normalise your potassium
levels.

Even if not normalised potassium
chloride solution(_Potklor) 10 ml to be taken teice daily.

Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 18 hours later
My IG gave me an appointment to see him tuesday , most likely we wont do a colonoscopy , because im afeaid of that test he said if the CT scan was ok and we wont do one , which it was and it was getting better . I still feel really bad , i feel like im not 100% . Still have weakness and that feeling of being sick . Is this normal ? How long before im ok physically ? Im just so sad all the time and fewl like its never gonna be better
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,
Weekness fatigue lassitude etc are all natural indicators in our body which show that some thing is wrong with body.
How long will it take to ne ok depends on the root cause of problem.
Unless we rule out the cause its very difficult to predict the time body will take to heal itself.

Dont worry go for colonoscopy.Most of the problems of GIT can be controlled and treated very well by medical therapy so i dont feel you need to worry at all.