Hi, I have been taking propecia for years, and binge

Excellent

Gastroenterologist
Question

I have been taking propecia for years, and binge drinking 1 night every 2 weeks (10 to 12 drinks per night) for the last 2 years. I am 36, 179cm and 96kg, athletic. In December I was prescribed 10 days on ciprofloxacin 500mg, twice a day. I quitted propecia at the beginning of December, and I had a big night out the 23rd of December. I have been on a high protein low carbon diet for quite a while. On January 2nd I had a complete blood test with the following abnormal results:

Folic Acid by ECLIA 2.7 * ng/ml [ 3.89 - 26.8 ]
Albumin 5.2 * g/dl [ 4 - 5.2 ]
GOT ( AST ) 48 * UI/L 37ºC [ 0 - 37 ]
GPT ( ALT ) 71 * UI/L 37ºC [ 0 - 41 ]

Every other test result was within normal ranges, mostly in mid range. I was also tested for hepatitis A,B and C getting negative results, also HEp2 was negative. Protombine INR is 1. I believe they also tested my tumour markers, I don't know which are those, but as I indicated, everything else is within range or negative. I have tried to research on the meaning of my results, but I can't figure out anything. Please help.
Mon, 5 Feb 2018 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Normal report no clinical significance.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Nachoman,
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query my dear patient,
Have seen your reports,
For liver functions to have any clinical importance they should be elevated atleast 3 times the upper normal value.
Less then three times elevation in a a symptomatic patient has no clinical significance.
Mild elevation is seen in patients who use to take alcohol or medicines as they are metabolised by liver only.
Out of the four only folic acid is bit on a lower side(mild significance) you can take flovite(folic acid supplement) 5 mg once daily for 10 days.
Rest all three have no clinical relevance.

Hope i was helpful.
Please feel free to follow up.

Follow-up: Hi, I have been taking propecia for years, and binge 40 minutes later
Hi Doctor,

Thank you so much for your answer. Just to close up the discussion, should I quit propecia due to its impact on the liver function in the long term?

Is my high protein diet also impacting the liver function, throwing high albumin results and low folic acid? should I change it and eat more veggies and fruit? What is the highest amount of protein per day recommended for an active male? I have been eating a lot of red meat, maybe 300 to 500gr per day, plus chicken, eggs, etc..and low carbs.

Thank you so much.

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer.

Detailed Answer:
Definitely yes body building diet(high protein diet) usually elevates liver functions.I would suggest you to take milk of thistle daily.
Make a balance between carbs fats and proteins.
If you are a noral person protein intake should never be more then 0.5 gram/lbs.
Fruits and veggies are a boon to mankind filled with minerals vitamins etc.
If you are into serious body building 1gram/lbs other wise at the XXXXXXX 0.5gram/lbs.

Don't eat red meat it would make your cholestrol and other fats deranged.
Take carbs with high glycemic index like oat brown rice etc.
Fruits like gauava apple plum orange etc

Follow-up: Hi, I have been taking propecia for years, and binge 34 minutes later
Last question, what about the propecia?

best regards,

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
follow up.

Detailed Answer:
Dear patient why are you on finasteride?

Follow-up: Hi, I have been taking propecia for years, and binge 1 hour later
Due to androgenic alopecia. My dad is bald and both my grandfathers are bald. A dermatologist prescribed it long time ago. I am now 36, still keep a good amount of hair and if necessary I can switch to minoxidil. If not necessary, i’d like to keep taking it since it has worked well for me.

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer.

Detailed Answer:
If you are not having any erectile dysfunction then you can take Finasteride.
Otherwise combination of renocia and minoxidil would be good for you.