Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Having severe body pain, mild fever. Blood and urine test normal. Given antibiotics and voltaren. Worrisome

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Emergency Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 2103 Questions
Dear Dr. Grief, I would like to ask a question about my brother. He has had a severe body pain ( especially the joints ) for about a week. Besides that, he has mild to none fever and he sweats a lot. No cough or throat infection or headache sneezing, stuffy noise etc.He does not have any of these. At the hospital they did blood and urine tests and they said they look OK. The only thing that was not OK, the CRP 8 level was higher than it is supposed to be and also the white blood cell count was higher. Doctors concluded that, he has an infection but they dont know where it is originating from. They gave him a wide spectrum antibiotics and voltaren. His pains redued after taking the voltaren and at least he is able to walk down the stairs, which was too painful for him because of his body pain. He started this regimen one day ago. I am so worried. It it OK treating the patient without knowing the source of infection ? What do you think his condition could be ? Do you advice any further tests ect ? I would be very appreciated for any helpful reply, Thank you very much in advance.

His medical history :

he does not drink alcohol but smokes little bit. He did not have any serious medical problems. He has been being treated by paroxetine and propanolol for his anxiety disorder for about 4 years. The only problem he had in the past, he had narrowness in his urethra and for that he had two small surgeries so that his urination wouldnt be painful.His last surgery was 3 years ago. He does fine about that. three weeks ago, he stayed at a hospital as a visitor a whole day while his wife was giving birth to their child and after two weeks of his hospital visit, he started having this body aches. Could it be possible that he got infected at the hospital. He is a proffessor at a college and his working conditions are pretty hygenic.
Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 4 hours later

Thanks for writing your query.

Fever is usually associated with body-aches, due to biochemical changes in the muscles resulting in myalgia.

You should not worry. It will subside in few days after the infection and fever gets cured.

Hot fomentation and application of pain relieving gel will help in relief from pain.

Since the total white blood cell count is raised, it indicates presence of infection in the body.Taking broad spectrum antibiotic will treat any infection present in the body. The infection can be hospital acquired or can be due to infection in the urinary tract due to narrowing of the urethra.

You should get following investigations done :-
1. Repeat Complete Blood Count(CBC).
2. Urine Culture/Senstivity.
3. LFT.

You can continue giving him medicines prescribed by his doctor.
Reports of the investigations will help further in the management.

I hope this is helpful to you. If you have any further query, I will be helpful to you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor