Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Having pain in pelvic area. Suffer constipation and muscle pain. Also have cramping. Help?

User rating for this question
Answered by
Practicing since : 1999
Answered : 1671 Questions
Hi- I am having a moderate amount of pain in my pelvic area right around my C-section scar (C-section 8 months ago) every time I have a BM and sometimes when I pee. my urine isn't discolored; its not burning but its only in the front pelvic region when I have a bowel movement or when I pee... its like a muscle pain .... I also get very constipated sometimes ;

other symptoms is last 2 days i had a jelly like discharge from my vagina when I wipe...

I had sex 2 days ago; he wore a condom and its my husband ... any ideas

someone please answer; im also having cramping and not on my period and I KNOW FOR SURE im not pregnant
Posted Sun, 4 Aug 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 18 hours later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

What was the reason for the Cesarean section?
Was it an emergency?
Were there any problems at the time of the C-section or afterwards?
Are you breast-feeding?
When did the pain begin exactly?

Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having pain in pelvic area. Suffer constipation and muscle pain. Also have cramping. Help? 7 minutes later
Unfort I had a C-section at 23 weeks gestation due to a placental abruption caused by a subchrionic hemmorage...they think my uterus is a bicorunate uterus so yes it was an emergency C-section. sorry for the misspellings. I did not have problems post C-section other than developing POTS (healing but that's normal; and some pain peeing post C-section for about 2 months- the foley XXXXXXX they had in me was latex and im allergic to latex so I had burning for a bit while after ... my baby passed away 1 week after she was born due to being so premature. the pain started probably 4 months post C-section so ... march. but it comes and goes. this last time was the worst- I had sex 2 days ago and 2 days later... I got the pelvic pain again- when I pee or when I have a BM and sometimes light cramping randomly throughout the day... like I said this is accompying a jellylike clear discharge at times (im 2 weeks post my last period) and I know I am not pregnant. I do have a history of bad constipation but I am not CURRENTLY constipated I have been also diagnosed with IBS-C I have had normal CT abdomen and pelvis and also had Normal colonoscopy and EGD.

periods are regular. and I am not having intermittent bleeding or bleeding post sex.

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 3 hours later
Thank you for the clarification and I am terribly sorry about your loss.

Taking into account how the C-section went and the timing of onset of the pain, one possibility is that you have developed a hernia at the incision site. This is a defect in one of the deeper layers and this can be associated with pain like you are describing. One way to sort this out would be to start with a CT scan of the abdomen and pelvis.

The other possibility is that there is scar tissue in the abdomen related to the C-section. This probably will not show up on a CT scan, and if the CT is normal, then the other possibility for solving this is a procedure called a laparoscopy where they actually look in your belly surgically.

The association with having a bowel movement or urinating might be related to the position that you are in when your are doing either.

Does this help? Do you have more questions?
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having pain in pelvic area. Suffer constipation and muscle pain. Also have cramping. Help? 18 minutes later
thanks your truly helpful. is the abnormal discharge I am having w/ the pain just probably coincidence I normally do not have this with the pain; and I thought maybe since my period was 2 weeks ago it just could be change in hormones due to ovulation or from having sex 2 days ago but I am unsure; I am going in to have a PAP and check up in a few weeks . and nervous because I haven't had a PAP 2 years. periods are normal. and no intermittent bleeding. my mom does have a history of endometrosis too. so if you could answer the abnormal discharge that would be helpful .

Also - I don't know if you can answer this question in the same discussion but ill try, having a bicorunate uterus, and the hemmorage; does that mean I cannot have children; I haven't even brought that topic up to my oBGYN yet but it lingers in my head. it would be so hard to have the same outcome again . I too was born premature at 26 weeks gestation but somehow I survived (and that was in 1986) and somehow I had no medical issues due to it.

thank you sir.
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 5 minutes later
I think that the discharge is coincidental and certainly could be related to intercourse and the changes in cervical mucous that occur about two weeks into your cycle.

When you go in for the pap smear, ask them to do vaginal cultures and make sure that there is not a vaginal infection. This might be as simple as a yeast infection.

Having a bicornuate uterus and problems related to a placental abruption do NOT mean that you cannot have kids in the future. You are certainly higher risk and it would probably be a good idea to seek an opinion from a high-risk OB/GYN before your next pregnancy occurs. They would be able to review the history of the prior birth and make any recommendations regarding the next pregnancy and how it would be followed differently.

Please tell me if this helps and good luck!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having pain in pelvic area. Suffer constipation and muscle pain. Also have cramping. Help? 2 minutes later
you have been extremely helpful and kind . My doctor works with both regular and high risk pregnancies I am not thinking of babies quite yet as I am trying to get my life back in line due to the P.O.T.S & the experience I had with baby XXXXXXX <3 but its nice to know that it is still possible. Thank you so much!

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 minute later
You are very welcome. If you have future questions, please ask me directly through this site. Thank you again.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor