What is the normal length of the cervix when not pregnant?
Detailed information given below.
Thanks for letting us know your health concern.
Here is the information you have asked for:
1. The length of the cervix during the non-pregnant state is 4-5 cm. on an average.
2. The length of the cervix decreases progressively as pregnancy advances.
3. During the first trimester, the length of the cervix is around 4.5 cm.
4. During the second trimester, the length of the cervix is around 4 to 3.5 cm.
5. If the length of the cervix at 22 weeks of gestation is less than 3 to 3.5 cm., it is considered short.
6. During the last trimester, the length of the cervix is around 3 cm.
Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to contact for further clarifications. I will be happy to help.
Chances of premature delivery increase.
Thanks for writing back.
If the length of the cervix is 2.5 cm. at 21 weeks, it is considered to be short. The chance of premature delivery is increased in the current scenario. However, if the uterus is not irritable and the length of the cervix is not further lowered, it is possible that the pregnancy may reach full term.
Management comprises of rest, regular monitoring, evaluation of the cervix periodically and contemplate the need for a cervical encirclage. The irritability of the uterus is enhanced when the encirclage is done later than 16 weeks. So, tocolytics are needed.
Use of antenatal steroids to enhance fetal lung function can be suggested in early last trimester.
Hope your query has been answered. Please get back if you need anything else.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Cervix pain while pregnant
- Laparoscopy tight cervix pregnant
- Soft cervix not pregnant
- Pregnant with incompetent cervix
- Shocks in cervix pregnant
- No pregnant feel flutters on cervix
- What is the normal length of cervix during pregnancy
- Cervix pain and not pregnant
- What causes in thinning cervix if not pregnant
- Normal thickness of cervix at 30 weeks pregnant
- Have had cesarean. What are the chances of cesarean for next pregnancy?
- Fetal heart rate 112-118 at 6 weeks pregnancy. Is this normal?
- Missing periods after mirena coil fitted. Should I be worried?
- Have PCOD. Advised gynaset. Looking for suggestion
- Pregnant. Started spotting, no cardiac activity seen. Taling fertigyn...
- Got delayed and prolonged period. What am I suffering from?
- Took postpone - 72 after unprotected sex. Started spotting. Side effect...
- Had novasure procedure. Getting smelly light red discharge. Any infection?
- Took paxil for anxiety disorder. Had unprotected sex. Missing period and...
- How to postpone my period date?