Having chest pain, dizziness, cold, light headed. On medicine for hypothyroid. reason?

Dr. Madhuri Patil

Diabetologist

Posted on Tue, 29 Jan 2013 in General Health
Question: Yes, I have been having these chest pains that feel like spasams, also I feel very cold from the inside of my body all over the arms legs and then I go to a sweat feel light headed and dizzy what is wrong with me. I am also hypothiroid I take medication for this and I was diagnose border line diabetic. can you help please
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 33 minutes later
Hi there.

The chest pain which is like a spasm could be because of the dilated esophagial spincter. This causes reflux of acidic material from stomach back into the esophagus and hence the pain. For this you could try antacids- available over the counter is Pantoprazole as various brand names like: Somac, Tecta, Pantoloc, Protium, Protonix, or Pantecta. This tablet has to be used minimum 40 minutes before major meals like breakfast and dinner and you will see a difference.
Make sure your thyroid function tests are normal with your current dose of medications as feeling cold is one of the symptoms of high TSH levels.
But other symptoms accompanying your body coldness are suggestive of low sugar or hypoglycemia.
There are two possibilities here:
1. If you have been started on anti-diabetes medications then you might be developing hypoglycemia due to it.
2. If you are not yet started on any anti-diabetes medications but you are having borderline diabetes then a few percentage of these kinds of people tend to manifest their borderline diabetes with hypoglycemic symptoms! I know this looks weird but this is true as your body tends to secrete more and more insulin in response to the borderline high sugar.
In any case, you please check your sugar on a glucometer when these symptoms appear and confirm if hypoglycemia is the reason for your these symptoms.
Please get back.
Follow up: Dr. Madhuri Patil 10 minutes later
Thank you for answering this questions. However I wasn't having this symptoms before. I already take Nexium for the Acid Reflux and my esophagus was dialated 4 yeasr ago. My worried is that my arms numb and legs, I get very dizzi and my visions get extremenly bluried. Also have Anemia and I still see my period very heavy. I get concern and scared that I might have a heart attack. I had three years ago Angina caused by my Esophagus. I also take the mediacation Synthroid of 125mg for my thyroid problem. Can you associate now problem.
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 11 minutes later
I still insists the symptoms look like that of hypoglycemia and hence please check your sugar on a meter at the time you get symptoms and let me know.
But to rule out other reasons like cardiac pain, please get your ECG done and uploading a copy of it here will help me answer further.
When did you last check your TSH and how much was it? Please let me know.

Meanwhile you can double your dose of Nexium for time being. But if the pain is more please rush to any ER and get ECG done.