What causes bitter taste in the mouth?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Fri, 11 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am prediabetic; take fioricet for migraines (4 to 6 a day) and synthroid. Not overweight; female. Recently had a elevated GGT (248). Sonogram of the liver was good. All other liver functions were good. My diet is not as healthy as it should be. Now I have a bitter taste in my mouth. Should I be worried? This came after eating late last pm (pasta and sauce) and going straight to bed.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Dyspepsia very likely due to an acid peptic problem.

Detailed Answer:

Heartburn and acid reflux occurs when acid or other stomach contents back up into your esophagus, the long tube that carries food from your mouth to your stomach. Sometimes, acid reflux causes a sour taste in your mouth. It could be due to either your food habits or taking a higher amount of Floricet a day.

However, as the onset is acute, most likely reason is food.
Right now I don’t feel you need to worry too much.

Treatment suggested:
Take Omeprazole 40 mg (it's OTC) twice daily for 3 days. Its a proton pump inhibitor and would neutralize the acid in the gastrointestinal tract.
Take an over the counter probiotic once daily.
Please have simple and vegetarian home cooked diet for 3 days.

If things don't improve after 3 days of treatment then we would consider other possibilities.
Let me know if I could assist you further.

Thanks!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee