Having a red rash on bottom side of penis. Noticed scaling. Prescribed Clotrimazole. What can be done?

Dr. Johny Chacko

Dermatologist

Posted on Sat, 8 Jun 2013 in Skin Rash
Question: I've been having a very irritating red rash on the bottom side of my penis shaft that flares up throughout the day. At times it appears that its going away but tends to flare up during the mid part of the day. I also have red irritation around the crotch area that tends to flare up as well. Now it appears that my testicular sac is beginning to have red flare ups as well. No bumps, blisters etc. Now I have noticed scaling around the lower area of the crotch. This has been going on now for approximately 4 months now. Please help. I went to the doctor 3 1/2 months ago and he stated that it was jock itch and prescribed me Clotrimazole and betamethasone dipropionate cream USP, I also tried Hydrocortisone 1%, Lamisil AT, Triple antibiotic, polysporin, Neosporin, Monistat 7 and jock itch cream (hydrocortisone 1%). None has worked.... the only temp relief I get is from gold bond power. Please help....
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 2 hours later
Welcome to Healthcare Magic.

Jock itch is a fungal infection and I would not recommend steroids for fungal infection. I will recommend plain antifungal cream like ketoconazole 2% or terbinafine cream 1%.

Take an antihistamine like cetrizine 10 mg or levocetrizine 5 mg daily once at night. Get these medicines prescribed by your clotrimazole 1% before you go for work so that it will keep the region dry.

Avoid excessive cleaning of the area with soap, or hot water or dettol.
Hope this helped.

I will be happy to answer any further queries you have

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Johny Chacko 1 hour later
Thank you Dr. for your reply. I am scared to death. I keep reading other sites about Herpes 2. Is it possible that I might have HVS2 considering it has been going on this long. Again, no signs of blisters etc. just flakey skin. However, the burning has been going on for the past 4 months. Scared to death.
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 7 minutes later
Welcome back.
Do not worry.

It is unlikely to be herpes as herpes genitalis will have grouped blisters which breaks to form shallow ulcers and they are quite painful, not itchy.

However I would recommend you to see a dermatologist to confirm the diagnosis of Jock itch. The burning sensation might be due to abrasions caused by scratching. One thing you should realize is that the more you scratch the more it will itch. So do not scratch. Take an anti-histamine to help you do this.

Hope this helped
I will be happy to answer any further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Johny Chacko 30 minutes later
Thank you very much Dr.

This has been going on for the past 4 months (every day.) If I did have herpes would it have run its course already. I know that you had already answered my question, however, I am scared to death. I am extremely active and clean. I just don't understand why it keeps burning (all the time) I find myself checking 30 to 40 times a day for blisters/sores etc. I just have a red rash on the bottom side of the shaft of my penis and irritation (redness) around the crotch area/sac. now I am noticing dry flaking skin around the crotch region. Its uncomfortable and driving me insane. And I haven't been itching. Just curious, could this all be anxiety? Again Dr. Chacko thank you for your time.
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 29 minutes later
Hello and welcome back.

Herpes genitalis occurs episodically. It lasts for 5 - 7 days and clears completely to recur after some time. It would not last for 4 months. So do not worry. It is not herpes.

Over cleanliness and excessive washing is also not good. So avoid washing and cleaning often.

I understand your anxiety. In all probabilities, I do not think you are dealing with herpes infection. So try to relax. You can consider professional help if you are unable to calm your nerves.

I hope I have answered your query. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad