Have tube tied and ovary removed. Having painful periods. Am I suffering from adenomyosis?

Posted on Sat, 1 Dec 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Question: I'm 45yo, 5'5", 145 lbs. One year ago I had my right tube and ovary removed due to a large but benign cyst, along with a tubal, D&C, endometrial ablation, and hysterecopy exam. All seemed normal until periods resumed in April, and since XXXXXXX I have had extremely painful periods w/ GI symptoms unresponsive to oral medications (8 days, with worse pain days 3-6) and then spotting and intermittent pelvic discomfort for 2 wks following. Since July I've also had thoracic area back pain, only at night/when lying down, increasingly painful to where I am only sleeping a few hours. During the day's activities feels OK. X-rays revealed some degenerative disc disease, clear abdominal CT, vaginal ultrasound, labs. Best guess seems to be possible adenomyosis and other Sx being referred uterine pain, considering hysterectomy. No injuries, other surgeries, no prior GI or back issues, & normal vaginal births when I was age 19 and 23. I only have one week a month where I feel almost completely normal and non-fatigued. The night-occurring back pain probably has me the most concerned as seems atypical from most osteoarthritis types of presentations. Could this all be referred uterine pain, where I might reasonably expect relief with a hysterectomy? Thanks for your time!
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later

Adenomyosis is the condition which occurs due to growth of endometrial tissue inside the myometrium.
This usually presents with pain during menstruation, excessive bleeding during periods, intermittent spotting etc.
So possibly adenomyosis can be responsible for your symptoms.
Endometrial ablation will not treat adenomyosis and also hysteroscopy will not visualize it usually.
After undergoing surgery for tube and ovary removal there is possibility of adhesions. These adhesions and pelvic tenderness due to adenomyosis can give referred pain to the back to some extent along the nerve roots.
But your pain in thoracic region can be mainly due to degenerative disc.
So after hysterectomy you can expect relief from pain during menstruation, heavy bleeding, intermittent spotting and pelvic pain. But for thoracic pain you may have to get treated for degenerative disc.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Dr. Sree Gouri SR

OBGYN