Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Have thyroid lump. Noticed weight loss with fever. Took thyronorm. Do I need surgery?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 52 Questions
I am 22 yr old. i ve a thyroid lump on the rt lobe frm past 2 month. i need a suggestion frm d specialist. Day by day my weight is decreasing (lost upto 8 kg for 2 months) and i have fever frm past 2months. i took many medicines like Thyronorm for one month but no use at all. The doctor who suggested thyronorm and calcium supplements asked me follow up if there is no improvement. My Thyroid profile is apparently normal by the doctor with TSH around 2.5. My family doctor said that I need surgery. I am confused and worried.
Posted Sun, 13 Jan 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Anantharaman 19 hours later
I apologise for the late reply. you do have significant weight loss and require evaluation.there are afew things that i want to know

1) What is your T3 and T4 level in addition to TSH.If T3 and T4 are normal its unlikely that the thyroid dysfunction is causing your weight loss

2) You require a general evaluation of your health in view of the weight loss which includes
a) Hb,TLC,DLC platelet count and peripheral smear
b) fasting and post meal glucose ,liver and kidney function test

3) For a thyroid lump the usual test is a Fine needle aspiration cytology(fnac).in this test the doctor will aspirate a smalll amount of material from the nodule that you have to see what it is.In addition to this before you subject yourself to the FNAC please get a ultrasound of the thyroid done .it will reval if there are other nodules and the charecteristics of the nodule which will help the doctor who is doing the FNAC.
please get back to me for any clarifications

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Endocrinologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor