Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
190 Doctors are Online

Have spondylosis. Pain, dizziness, back and shoulder pain, jaw locking. Can damange to spine be reversed?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2585 Questions
i was diagnosed with spondylosis way back late 1990's based on MRI when i was on my early 30's. Now I am 46. Just yesterday, with another x-ray, I went to a chiropractor. He told me, based on xray, that I have subluxation. Pain, dizziness, heaviness on ears, back pain, severe right shoulder pain, jaw locking, insomnia, irritability, heaviness on right arm, retention becomes unsharp and striking pain on the right part of the head are the most common things that I observed.

Can the damage on my spine be reversed? What will I do? Will I need to see a chiropractor or who is the right person who can help me.Questions like Can I still drive knowing prolong sitting and and prolong lifting or arms is discomfort. I am studying (classroom-based) , and I feel discomfort too even with the chair the school provides to me. One time, we have a test, I felt dizzy as I bowed my head longer.

What activities will I restrain knowing that there are activities that I need to do but give discomfort that I am afraid can aggrevate too?
thank you.
Posted Sat, 11 Aug 2012 in Back Pain
Follow-up: Have spondylosis. Pain, dizziness, back and shoulder pain, jaw locking. Can damange to spine be reversed? 27 minutes later
is this something that I have too worry? What would be the long term effect of this kind of sickness?

Can this cause paralysis?
Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query. I have gone through the details and I shall try providing you with useful information pertaining to your concerns.

Subluxation or protrusion of intervertebral disc is usually the result of ongoing spondylosis / straining. It would have been better if you had mentioned the areas of the spine involved or subluxated.

1. Spine problems such as spondylosis and subluxation are chronic and ongoing problem, however acute exacerbation can be corrected and reversed either conservatively or by a surgery - this is decided by your physical symptoms. The group of symptoms you reported are partly due this spine problem. Other contributions from perimenopause/menopause related hormonal disturbances and stressors are likely too. Nevertheless, the do not warrant a surgical cure.

2. I am not aware of chiropractor practices; however a competent back surgeon would be able to treat your problem effectively. He may order a repeat Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) scan and start you on analgesics and physiotherapy.
Intrathecal injections would be the next line of treatment if you do not respond well to the first line.
You are at freedom to choose between a chiropractor / orthopedic; but if I were you I would choose the later.

3. Yes, prolong sitting can cause more pressure and lead to worsening of pain. I expect that to improve with one of the two conservative line of treatment. Surgical approach can be considered if they don't.

4. Any activities which involve bending and lifting objects need to be avoided completely. In fact, I would prefer you to be on back / neck supports (belt or a collar) during the time of pain. A few back muscle strengthening exercise which will be taught when you visit the physio to help you.
Sleep on a hard mattress in supine position with a straight back.

5. Lastly, what you have is a very common condition. I would say every 1 in 10 population in your age group may have it. Paralysis is a very rare complication. We can be able treat it and rarely would need surgery.
Do not worry. I would not expect you to have any long term sickness or paralysis if the treatment is done early through a competent surgeon.

Hope I have provided you with enough information to guide you towards cure. Let me know if you have any other inquiries.

Wish you good luck!!

Dr. Prasad
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have spondylosis. Pain, dizziness, back and shoulder pain, jaw locking. Can damange to spine be reversed? 2 days later
I have scanned the latest result of my x-ray so that you have a clear idea specially that you mentioned that I forget to tell you the affected cervical spine parts.

If I will not see an orthopedic soon, what would be the long term effect?

Hope you can give me more comment.

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Prasad 6 hours later
Hi and thanks again,

It looks like you have some difficulties in uploading the report; I am not able to see any attached reports here. That's ok, it is at least clear that it is the cervical (neck) spine that is affected.

To summarize the treatment of subluxated cervical discs:

1. Immobilize the cervical spine using a hard cervical (neck) collar
2. You may drive with the collar and the seat belts on.
3. Avoid strenuous physical exercise especially the ones which involves neck.
4. Analgesic (pain killers) such as Advil is very useful in this condition
5. MRI of cervical spine is necessary to determine the severity of subluxation. Treatment would be needed at the earliest if there is severe cervical root compression or canal stenosis.
6. Physiotherapy and surgery can be considered (if needed) following the consult with orthopedic.

The above measures which include neck immobilisation are suggested to prevent worsening of the problem.

Long term effects are usually related to neurological deficits (paralysis); this is seen in progressive condition where medical advice is not followed. That being said, you can fix an appointment with an orthopedic as and when possible while strictly following aforementioned restrictions. You would need to hurry the consultation if you notice weakness of upper limbs (like difficulties while combing, buttoning shirt and some difficulties with walking).

Hope this suffices. Let me know if you need any other information.

Wish you good health

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor