Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

178 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Have lump above ear and feeling lightheaded. Looking for suggestion

Answered by
Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2000

Answered : 969 Questions

Posted on Fri, 28 Dec 2012 in General Health
Question: I have a lump just above my left ear, slightly light headed-ness, but no pain when touching the lump and no physical signs of lump.
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 3 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

Is the lump visible or is it only felt when you touch the area . If visible, would it be possible for you to upload the image of the lump?
Any history of fever/headache / ear pain/ ear discharge?
Any history of fall or trauma to the area?

It could be anything ranging from a cyst , infected lymph node, traumatic swelling etc.

Please provide the above details and I shall get back to you.

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 42 minutes later
The lump is not physically visible, can only be felt. It is about 1.5cm by 1.5cm. No headaches or discharge, has no effect on me whatsoever. It seems to just be there.
Also just recently suffered a few days of common cold this week.
Suffering from a headache as we speak.

Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 13 hours later

Thanks for the reply.

It is quite possible that the swelling is a lymph node enlargement due to the common cold/upper respiratory infection. It should subside on its own in about 2-4 weeks time.

However , it would be best if you visit your physician, as your doctor would be in a better position to examine you by doing a physical examination and prescribe you with a course of antibiotics if there is an underlying infection.

Meanwhile , I would advise you to drink 8-10 glasses of water daily( warm water at regular intervals).
Steam inhalation 3 times a day might help.
For temporary relief from a headache, you could take a tylenol tablet.

Hope I have answered your question. Do get back to me if you have any further queries.

Get well soon :)

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

Recent questions on  Tylenol

doctor1 MD

I ve been having some dull achy pain on my right side under my ribs. It comes and goes. I stopped alcohol and smoking over 2 weeks ago. I ve got insomnia and have been taking one Tylenol PM every night for sleep. My stool was yellowish, not very solid this morning. What should I do?

doctor1 MD

I woke up this morning with pain on my left side. Pain starts in the middle of left breast radiates to shoulder , neck and upper arm, hurts to press on chest or lift arm? Been taking Advil followed by Tylenol a few hours apart and heat. YYYY@YYYY

doctor1 MD

We had a home made chicken and dumplings lastnight at a friends, my daughter complained (three year old) of a stomach ache. Had a low fever, threw up at 2:30, and at 3 I was ablt to get some tylenol in her, still working on pedialyte. Should I be concerned as that there were also small chicken bones that I myself had to pull out?

doctor1 MD

Hello, my 7 year old daughter is battling an ear ache possible ear infection for 3 days. I haven t taken her in because I ve been under the impression that s it s best to allow her to work through it with natural home remedies and save antibiotics as a last resort. she has had a fever come and go and I ve been giving her tylenol and made a garlic infused olive oil mix to use as drops in her ear several times a day. it seems to sooth and help a little but neither remedy has gotten the throbbing to go away. throbbing seems to have moved from her ear to a couple areas on her head around her ear. today is the 4th day. because she was in her jammies and laying around most of yesterday, she didn t brush her teeth. this morning i talked her into letting me because her breath was bad and I knew bacteria in the mouth wouldn t help the situation. i was shocked to find that her tongue was blackish green! some of it brushed off but not all and it seemed to be coming from the back of the tongue. is this a sign of bacteria confirming her ear or sinuses probably has a bacterial infection?

doctor1 MD

My 2 year old grand daughter is staying with me. She only gets a fever of 104 at night. IN the day it is normal and she goes throgh her normal routine, active and eats and drinks well. In the evening, she is drigining and eating snacks too. My...

doctor1 MD

Hey doctor this morning before work I had a blood test done. There was not much pain during it but afterwards I was in a bit of a rush since I had to go to work straight after and in the rush I noticed pain in my left arm where the blood was drawn...

doctor1 MD

Getting tatoo in couple hours. Is it ok to take tylenol & flexeril before and or after tatoo? Thanks for prompt help!