Have lump above ear and feeling lightheaded. Looking for suggestion

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan

Posted on Fri, 28 Dec 2012 in General Health
Question: I have a lump just above my left ear, slightly light headed-ness, but no pain when touching the lump and no physical signs of lump.
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 3 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing in.

Is the lump visible or is it only felt when you touch the area . If visible, would it be possible for you to upload the image of the lump?
Any history of fever/headache / ear pain/ ear discharge?
Any history of fall or trauma to the area?

It could be anything ranging from a cyst , infected lymph node, traumatic swelling etc.

Please provide the above details and I shall get back to you.

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan
Follow up: Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 42 minutes later
The lump is not physically visible, can only be felt. It is about 1.5cm by 1.5cm. No headaches or discharge, has no effect on me whatsoever. It seems to just be there.
Also just recently suffered a few days of common cold this week.
Suffering from a headache as we speak.

Thanks,
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 13 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for the reply.

It is quite possible that the swelling is a lymph node enlargement due to the common cold/upper respiratory infection. It should subside on its own in about 2-4 weeks time.

However , it would be best if you visit your physician, as your doctor would be in a better position to examine you by doing a physical examination and prescribe you with a course of antibiotics if there is an underlying infection.

Meanwhile , I would advise you to drink 8-10 glasses of water daily( warm water at regular intervals).
Steam inhalation 3 times a day might help.
For temporary relief from a headache, you could take a tylenol tablet.

Hope I have answered your question. Do get back to me if you have any further queries.

Get well soon :)

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan