Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

Have infected thumb nail, rashes around eye with dry flaky skin. Are these related?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 3094 Questions
I have had a strange rash around my eyes. It starts out like small brusies then it goes flaky and the skin is dry. I have pictures. It is unpleasant but doesn't really hurt. I think it also on the top of my thigh where it is itchy and inflamed.
Or could this be something different. I am very clean and change my pillow cases regularly. I use non biological soap powder so I don't think it is a irritant. My own GP doesn't know what it is. Also my thumb nail is infected and the nail crumbled away from the nail bed I have been painting some nail solution on it for months that my GP gave me. It doesn't work and my rash is still here could they be connected?
Posted Mon, 1 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,
The images presented are very suspicious of an inflammation and is characteristic of a skin infection, probably a fungal infection, that might have certainly spread to other regions of the body. The thumb infection might also require to be scabbed and sent to the laboratory for cultures and drug sensitivity tests. I am afraid you might need to take anti fungal drugs probably for a relatively longer period of time say months in addition to local or topical treatment.
I suggest you take an appointment with a dermatologist for proper clinical evaluation and tests. Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor