Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Have high BP, hypothyroid, aravhnoid cyst with small meningioma at the cavernous sinus. Is it safe to conceive?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 3094 Questions
am a 39 years old with high blood pressre,hypothyroid,aravhnoid cyst with small meningioma at the lateral edge of the left cavernous sinus but brain is normal.

i want to have a baby ,is it safe or not recomended?

Posted Fri, 31 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 4 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

The decision to have a baby actually depends on whether all of these health conditions, of course making the pregnancy a high risk pregnancy are well controlled or not. For how long has your hypertension and hypothyroidism been under adequate control. This is an important consideration.

Getting into pregnancy with these conditions, well controlled, reduced the risk for the fetus and the you the mother. First because, less complications or emergencies during pregnancy and secondly, less exposure to large doses of other drugs in case of recurrent complications.

Its of utmost importance concerting with an obstetrician, especially with high risk pregnancies a sub specialty or concentration. Follow up is a critical aspect of this pregnancy especially in your case.
With respect to the arachnoid cyst and meniongioma. the opinion of your neurosurgeon or neurologist would be very relevant. If you are not presenting wit any symptoms, with no clinical signs of raised intracranial pressure and a silent meningioma, having a pregnancy is compatible with these pathologies.

The most critical aspects are controlling the thyroid and hypertension issues appropriately before engaging into a pregnancy, formerly excluding the fact whether you have any associated heart malfunction or defect (cardiopathy), concerting with your neurologist/neurosurgeon first and having an obstetrician with experience in high risk pregnancies to follow up carefully the pregnancy.

Book an appointment with your obstetrician for discussions.

Hope this helps, thanks and best regards, and feel free asking further questions if need be.
Dr Luchuo, MD.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor