Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Have hepatitis, done blood work. Doctor suggested liver cancer. What should we do?

Jan 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 1658 Questions
My husband has has hepatitus for 18 months--his regular doctor checks his blood regularly and his AST has been running about 70 and his ALT about 150. That was 6 months ago--this week it was AST 90 and ALT was 253. His doctor immediately told him he probably has liver cancer--no test has been run or any extinsive blood work done--should he seek out a specialist for this--she has us worried to death now about this.. she told him to come back in about 3 months and she would do more bloodwork. What should we do? Thanks
Posted Tue, 18 Sep 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
Do you have ultrasound imaging/ CT/ MRI scan abdomen? What was there reports?
What is his blood sugar level?
Yes...definitely his Liver function test is deranged but effort should be made to find the cause.
Is he chronic alcoholic and smoker?
Kindly send the details of LFT.
You should consult with physician / gastro-physician and should go for following investigations: complete blood count, liver function test, serum amylase, ultrasound imaging, CT and MRI scan if needed.
If all investigations are normal then you should go for liver biopsy for clarification.
If liver biopsy is denied by treating doctor then you should go for PET scan.
Labeling any pathology as cancer needs evidence and you should not wait, if it is cancer then it will spread.
You should consult with physician on urgent basis.
Put your query if you have.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor