Can eczema and dermatitis cause swelling in lips and tongue?

I have experienced swelling of the tongue, lip, and feet. Partial swelling of each body part only, never the whole tongue, whole lip, or whole foot. I have been tested for allergies and have just had a biopsy of my foot, ordered by a rheumatologist, to attempt to find the cause of the swelling. Biopsy showed exema and possible contact dermatitis. Can these cause swelling of the lip and tongue?
Tue, 1 Jun 2021

Your condition seems like episodes of angio-edema. Angio-edema is the swelling of deep layers of skin / mucus membrane due to allergy to various substances. Fluid collects in deeper layers of skin / mucus membrane and hence, swelling. It most commonly affects hands, feet, eyes, lips, genital. But in severe cases it may affect tongue as well as inner lining of throat also.

Usually eczema or contact dermatitis do not cause such type of swelling. However, in cases of angio-edema, history of other allergic conditions like eczema,asthma or urticaria may be usually present. This may be usually due to some allergies to certain foods like nuts, milk, eggs or shell fish etc., certain medicines like NSAIDs like Ibuprofen, Aspirin or even Penicillin. Latex, mainly used in rubbers for medical gloves, balloons or condoms etc. Insect or sting bites, particularly wasp and bee. The symptoms may appear suddenly and may last for 1-3 days.

Usually the symptoms of angio-edema subside themselves even without treatment. However, in some cases oral antihistamines or even steroids may be given. Best strategy is to avoid the trigger substance, if it can be identified. However, in some cases, the allergen can not be identified and known as idiopathic angio-edema. Once a while, due to swelling of throat, bronchii etc. symptoms of breathing difficulty or choking may be there. In such cases emergency treatment is required in a well equipped facility.

Take care. Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Satnarain Bansal, General & Family Physician