Suggest remedies for a 2-inch lump in the neck

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 21 May 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi there

I’m a 42 yo healthy male with mild psoriasis and psuedogout. Recent routine blood tests were normal.

Three weeks ago whilst I had a mild sore throat and cold, I discovered a raised lymph node on my right side of neck 2 inches down from ear lobe. Doctor checked it at the time and said it was due to throat.

It is still there now I’m well again but has not gone away. Lump feels about 1.5 cm and not really tender but do have slightly sore neck when I turn it.

Last night I also discovered a small flesh coloured lump at the bottom of my right tonsil. It is round 5mm but this morning maybe slightly smaller.

I have no other symptoms and feel OK apart from tiredness from shift work.

I am stressing out over this thinking it’s lymphoma or throat cancer. Does this seem something to be worried about. I’m going to GP this afternoon.
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Sore throat with lymphadenopathy

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to HealthcareMagic and thanks for putting up the query
The growth in the tonsil appears to be benign lesion in the picture. It is surely not lymphoma because in lymphoma whole tonsil is involved not a part of it. You should get an endoscopic examination of the throat done and if required a biopsy should be done to rule out any malignancy.
The lymph node enlarged is probably due to sore throat only or the tongue changes you are having.
Please tell me what medicines have you been taking so far so that I can suggest you better.
Any history of tobacco use or smoking?
Use hexidine gargles and take tablet vitamin c once daily.
Follow up with the required information.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 2 hours later
Hi there thanks for the advice. I have been to the GP who said the actual throat lu,p has gone down a little which is good. The node felt swollen but not more than 1cm now in size.

I will gargle and see how it goes. I did used to smoke around 1 pack a week.
I checked all the blood results from dec 12 and they were good although the calcium level was in the very high end of normal range. All other bloods were good and included liver, kidney and thyroid tests as well as full blood count.
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Sore throat with lymphadenopathy

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for the information

The decrease in the size of swelling indicates it is inflammatory in nature. Continue with the medicines as advised and follow up again after 5 days.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Thanks and regards