Is radiation therapy or surgery advisable when diagnosed with prostate cancer?
If Uro-Oncologist is familiar I prefer Robotic Radical Prostatectomy.
Thanks for the query.
I have gone through our previous discussion on your problem.
Since it is organ-confined disease options available are either Radiotherapy or Radical Prostatectomy. Considering the morbidity and complications of radiation and if you do not have any other major health issues like cardiac problems etc and if Uro Oncologist is familiar with Robotic surgery it is the best option to get it done.
It has the minimum risk and morbidity of incontinence, sexual dysfunctions etc. It has added benefit of removing the primary disease(Cancer)
Hope I have answered your query, please feel free to ask if you have more questions, I shall be happy to help you.
Thanks and Regards.
1) My urologist is supposed to be one of the best surgeons BUT he only does open surgery. Is robotic surgery better than ordinary laproscopic surgery and should I seek out another surgeon - I assume robotic/laproscopic also has considerably less recovery time as well.
2) Are there any advantages to open surgery?
3) You do not suggest brachytherapy?
You can go for Laparoscopic Radical Prostatectomy .
Thanks for follow up .
The surgeon who does Robotic surgery is basically a well experienced Laparoscopic surgeon .If your Urologist does Laparoscopic procedures routinely you can certainly go ahead and get operated by him .
Advantage of Laparoscopic or Robotic surgery over open surgery is that open surgery has more morbidity ,risk of infection ,long hospital stay and post operative complications like incontinence etc .
Brachytherapy has more complication in comparison to surgery like radiation cystitis, post radiation bladder neck stenosis,stricture formation ,side effect f radiation to other organs like rectum ,large bowels and hazards of radiation itself .
Thanks and Regards.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Prostate cancer radiation treatment
- Radiation pill for prostate cancer
- Radiation after prostate cancer surgery
- Radiation therapy for cancer
- Imrt radiation for prostate cancer
- Adjuvant radiation therapy prostate
- Have prostate cancer radiation therapy feeling warm discomfort related
- How to diagnose prostate cancer
- Rapidarc radiation for prostate cancer
- Cyberknife radiation for prostate cancer
- Have stomach pain, fever and loose stool. On omniprzole and ciplox. Any...
- Have had cyst removed from lips and noticed rigidness. Will it cure on...
- On medication for BP, body pain and frequent urination. Getting weakness...
- Having pain in testicle and noticed dark skin on it. What to do?
- Took medication for neurological problem and never had a desire for...
- Experiencing prolonged menstrual periods. What to do?
- Have increase frequency and urgency of urination. Any treatment?
- Why does my penis look small when not erect?
- Having on and off mouth ulcer. What is causing this and how to get rid...
- Noticed movable lump on the side of abdomen. What could it be?