Ask a Urologist   »  

Is radiation therapy or surgery advisable when diagnosed with prostate cancer?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016
Excellent

Urologist
Question
Hi

I have been diagnosed with prostate cancer from a biopsy. They think it is confined to prostate. GS 3+4. 19/12 probes positive. 15% of tissue cancerous.
1) do you recommend radiation or surgery
2) for surgery do you recommend open, laproscopic or robotic

thanks XXXXXXX
Fri, 18 May 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
If Uro-Oncologist is familiar I prefer Robotic Radical Prostatectomy.

Detailed Answer:
Hello

I have gone through our previous discussion on your problem.

Since it is organ-confined disease options available are either Radiotherapy or Radical Prostatectomy. Considering the morbidity and complications of radiation and if you do not have any other major health issues like cardiac problems etc and if Uro Oncologist is familiar with Robotic surgery it is the best option to get it done.

It has the minimum risk and morbidity of incontinence, sexual dysfunctions etc. It has added benefit of removing the primary disease(Cancer)

Hope I have answered your query, please feel free to ask if you have more questions, I shall be happy to help you.

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

.

Follow-up: Is radiation therapy or surgery advisable when diagnosed with prostate cancer? 38 minutes later
Thank you for your time.

1) My urologist is supposed to be one of the best surgeons BUT he only does open surgery. Is robotic surgery better than ordinary laproscopic surgery and should I seek out another surgeon - I assume robotic/laproscopic also has considerably less recovery time as well.

2) Are there any advantages to open surgery?

3) You do not suggest brachytherapy?

thanks again
XXXXXXX XXXX

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can go for Laparoscopic Radical Prostatectomy .

Detailed Answer:
hello
Thanks for follow up .

The surgeon who does Robotic surgery is basically a well experienced Laparoscopic surgeon .If your Urologist does Laparoscopic procedures routinely you can certainly go ahead and get operated by him .

Advantage of Laparoscopic or Robotic surgery over open surgery is that open surgery has more morbidity ,risk of infection ,long hospital stay and post operative complications like incontinence etc .

Brachytherapy has more complication in comparison to surgery like radiation cystitis, post radiation bladder neck stenosis,stricture formation ,side effect f radiation to other organs like rectum ,large bowels and hazards of radiation itself .

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.