Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
125 Doctors are Online

Have had semen analysis, want to know if can father a child normally?

Mar 2016
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 4047 Questions
I did my semen analysis I want to know if I can father a child normally, my report follows
Sperm concentration : 89.60
Total count: 170.24
Motility within one hour
Fast progressive : 05
Slow progressive : 15
Sluggish : 30
Immotile: 50 all in percent
Viability within one hour : 55 percent
Sperm cell morphology : 70
Agglutination : ( ++ )

Pus cell : 1-3 hog
Red blood cell 0-1
Immature sperm cell 3-5
Liquefaction time > 30 mins
Viscosity : slightly viscous
Posted Fri, 9 Aug 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 3 hours later

Thanks for writing to us on Healthcare Magic. I have gone through your semen analysis report in details.

According to WHO Semen Analysis Guideline, 2010, followings are my comments:

1) Your sperm concentration, total count and morphology is within normal range.

2) Lower limit of progressive sperm motility is 32% but you have 20% (Fast & Slow progression) which is under normal range. However, you have to increase sperm motility at least 40-50% to maximize the chance of pregnancy.

3) Sperm viability within 1 hr is also under normal. It should be at least 58%. Sperm agglutination is also positive and it can impair or decrease progressive motility.

4) Other parameters like pus cell, red blood cell (RBC), immature sperm cell, liquefaction time and viscosity are within normal range.

In my opinion, you need to repeat the semen analysis test after 3 months as there is 2-3 parameters are abnormal. Those should be corrected if you again get the same result. Normal semen analysis report has higher chance of natural conception. You can consult with your infertility specialist regarding this for proper guidance and suggestive measures.

Hope, I have answered your query. If you need further clarification, you can ask me freely.

Maintain a healthy life style. Wish your good health.

Dr Soumen
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have had semen analysis, want to know if can father a child normally? 3 hours later
Is there anyway I can increase my sperm motility, and decrease agglutination and increase viability also please advice

And also when I gave test sample I was a bit dehydrated could it be the reason for such a result should I take another sample else where an recheck
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

First of all, thanks for your follow up query.

The following guideline can improve your Sperm Quality:

1) You must take healthy balanced diet and eat more fresh fruits or green vegetables.

2) Take Multivitamin (Specially Vitamin-A, E & C) and Zinc, Selenium, L-arginine, L-carnitine supplements with diet. Pea nut, sunflower seeds, almonds, broccoli, dairy product, shellfish, egg, meat, sesame seeds, brussels sprouts etc are good source of above said nutrients. Coenzyme Q-10 and vitamin B complex are also essential.

3) Do regular physical exercise by running/ swimming/ treadmill and control body weight. Take bath with only cold water and maintain personal hygiene.

4) Certain factors like hot working place, chemical exposure, cigarette smoking, tight fitting underwear, pollution, excessive alcohol, radiation, hypertension, diabetes etc are to be eliminated.

5) Drink plenty of water/ fluids (2.5 -3 lit daily) to stay hydrated and active all time. Also you need to avoid mental stress/ psychological upset by regular deep breathing exercise (20-30 times) or yoga.

6) Try to avoid too frequent sexual intercourse and do it at an interval. Take care of testicle to avoid any kind of trauma/ infection. Do periodic health check up to your doctor for physical fitness.

Second thing, dehydration may cause abnormal semen analysis report. Sperm components are mostly from water. So, you must drink 8-10 glass of water daily. You should repeat the semen analysis test after 3 months and during this time, you must follow above suggestive measures.

Hope, I have answered your query. If you do not need any clarification, you can close the discussion.

Take care yourself. Good luck.

Dr Soumen
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have had semen analysis, want to know if can father a child normally? 3 hours later
Thanx doc I have just one more question for vitamins is there any pill , will multivitamin tab becadexamin do any good , or can u suggest some good tab.

One last question: Is my case serious I am getting frightened, can it be cured I want a honest answer
Answered by Dr. S Patra 27 minutes later

Thanks for your query.

1) I have already mentioned vitamins and supplements which are needed in your case. You need to consult with your doctor for proper prescription and doses.

Yes, you can take becadexamin as multivitamin tab. In addition, you must take previously mentioned food stuffs and Coenzyme Q10 daily.

2) You don't need to be frightened. It can be treated and you can be a father of your baby. Just, follow above suggestive measures and take prescribed medication only. You must repeat your semen analysis test after 3 months for evaluation of prognosis. You can consult with infertility specialist if you get any thing abnormal result.

Don't be stressed. Be well and stay healthy.

Dr Soumen
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor