Have flu symptoms. Feeling nausea and massive phobia of vomiting. What is going on?

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Fri, 11 Jan 2013 in Infections
Question: Have had cold symptoms for over two weeks, now it feels more like Flu - sore throat, severe earache, blocked nose, XXXXXXX cataargh (Sp?) whole body aches, fever.

I didn't eat much yesterday other than bread and a banana, woke up at 2am with severe nausea and had to rush to toilet where I "dry heaved" 4 times with nothing coming up other than saliva, after this there was no more nausea, although I found it hard to eat anything today.

I have a massive phobia of vomiting, and am wondering whether being really hungry/acidic or ear blockage can cause nausea and vomiting, or am I likely to have a stomach bug? (Only vomited once).

Also, Is there anything I can do about my blocked ears?

Thank you for your time!
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. After a severe cold, this is commonly seen. Body ache, fever is usually seen in a viral infection. The blocked nose causes blockage of the Eustachian Tubes which causes the severe Ear ache. This Ear ache may also be be worsened by a referred sensation from the throat and chest.

2. The nasal catarrh drips down and infects the throat causing a sore throat and when swallowed, it causes viral esophagitis and gastritis.

3. If there is only retching then there is no cause for worry.

4. Get your throat and nose examined by an ENT Specialist to rule out any cause such as a sinusitis or granular pharyngitis since the cold has lasted two weeks.

5. You may request your physician to prescribe an anti-vomiting (anti-emetic), anti -reflux medication in addition to an anti-allergic, decongestant and mucolytic. Use regular stem inhalation and medicated gargles. Keep yourself well hydrated. Avoid antibiotics and ab=ni-inflammatory medication if you have no fever and a reducing cold. These may worsen any retching, acidity and acid reflux.

6. Vomiting is a protective reflex and you should not fear it. Staying hungry for long hours may also cause acidity. You may find it interesting to know that the nerve supply of a part of the ear and stomach has a common nerve supply known as Arnold's or Alderman's Nerve. This causes referred sensations between the ear and the stomach.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.