What causes vomiting, stomach cramps and feeling of lump in the throat?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: my wife, 61 years old, has vomited for the past couple of hours. Complained of stomach cramps last evening so we believe she ate something bad. A side effect is causing her great discomfort. She is complaining of a pain in her upper chest, right of her throat that feels like a large lump inside her throat. She cannot swallow. The pain pulsates every 30-seconds and causes her to feel like throwing up although nothing comes up.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please take her to ER due to inability to swallow.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
To recapitulate: Female/61 - vomiting for past couple of hours - stomach cramps last evening - so believe about eating something bad - pain in upper chest - and right of throat - feeling of a large lump - can not swallow - pain pulsates every 30 seconds - causing feeling of throwing up but nothing comes out - not consulted a Doctor - no medications given as can not swallow anything...
As per the history your have provided, vomiting along with inability to swallow and then retching will cause dehydration as well as electrolyte imbalance complicating the matter further.
Hence I would advise you to take her to Nearby hospital or ER so that fluid and electrolytes can be given intravenously along with a PPI and Anti-emetic in injection form to stop nausea, retching or vomiting. This may possible allow some oral intake of fluids and medications.
Simultaneously an ENT Examination can tell whether the throat problem was due to acid reaching the throat causing feeling of lump or an actual internal swelling.
Also symptomatic treatment for any other symptoms be carried out.

This is in view of history of inability to swallow.
I hope this answer helps you in getting her an early and proper management.
Please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.