Can kidney cancer cause the diaphragm to spasm, leading to coughing and vomiting?

Dr. Jnikolla

Pulmonologist

Posted on Thu, 21 Sep 2017 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Can kidney cancer metasticized to the lungs cause the diaphragm to tighten or spasm, causing coughing, retching and vomiting, without any nausea? Stomach seems fine, though has very little capacity, appetite also very poor. Losing body weight, as does not eat much. On oxygen full time, but always feels short of breath. A big problem is this gagging and retching, which is triggered by pill swallowing, small burps, and nose-blowing. Causes serious panic attacks, as she feels that she can't catch her breath. Stomach not involved, as very seldom does she vomit. Also, not much acid reflux problem at this time, though she has had trouble with it when she was on the anti-tumor drug Stutent.
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
yes it can unfortunately

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome in HCM

I am sorry for your sister's situation and I can understand your concern

As you explain the history renal cancer has unfortunately seemed to metastasized in her lungs.

It is the cause of pleural liquid the cough and breathlessness too.

Despite the main treatment for cancer for the lungs is needed a supportive treatment as well and she is taking it already.

It consists mainly of oxygen, steroids i/v, pleural fluid drainage and sometimes CPAP machine use if needed.

I hope this info is helpful for you

I wish a recovery for your sister.

Regards and feel free to ask me again

Dr.Jolanda

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D