Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Have diabetes and hypertension. Feeling breathlessness while walking and constipated. Alternate medication?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1966
Answered : 4506 Questions
My mother is 72 years old and is suffering from Diabetes and Hypertension for last 22 years. She has been very regular with her medicines and diets all through and had been leading an active life. Two months back she started feeling breathlessness while walking. To rule out any possibility of Heart related issue we went in for an Angiography. According to the report there is high blockage( report attached). We showed the report to the doctor and he is of the opinion that surger is the only recourse. But my mother is not willing to undergo surgery. Pl suggest that what should be the best alternative course and what are the optimal medication which can keep her active.Presently her main discomfort is constipation, gas and belching.
Posted Tue, 26 Feb 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 4 hours later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

The block is a mechanical obstruction. It needs mechanical relief.
The nature of a lesion sometimes makes it impossible to do angioplasty. That is why surgery is advised, in such circumstances. In such a situation, there is no alternative to surgery.

There is danger of sudden death, heart attack, heart failure and so on at any time. It is like a time bomb. In people with diabetes, there may not be chest pain. If you could convince her, she may agree...

There are several classes of medicines that offer some help – but they can not reduce the block.
They include Beta blockers, nitrates, anti Platelet agents.
Her constipation may benefit from Lactulose.
Gas and belching may benefit from pro-kinetics like domperidone and/or anti-flatulents like simethicone.
Discuss with your physician and get appropriate prescriptions.

Try to convince your mother.
Have a second / even third opinion – this may help to convince...

Take care
Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor