What causes vertigo and lightheadedness during fecal impaction?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Tue, 15 May 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: The symptoms are for a 62 year old woman who is hypothyroid, takes 25 micrograms of tirosint and also takes 290 micrograms of Linzess for IBS. She has had symptoms of "emptying" her colon when it is like a "plunger" was used to unclog pipes. Afterwards she experiences lightheadness, dizziness and has even fainted. What could cause this problem?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Activation of vagus nerve and autonomous nervous system.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
I've gone through your details.
I am Dr Kumar and would be addressing your concerns.

I think she is having fecal impaction in her colo rectal pipes.You can ask you gastroenterologist to prescribe you Polyethelene Glycol.Polyethylene glycol-electrolyte solution(its over the counter) is used to empty the colon. PEG-ES is in a class of medications called osmotic laxatives. It works by causing watery diarrhea so that -the stool can be emptied from the colon. The medication also contains electrolytes to prevent dehydration and other serious side effects that may be caused by fluid loss as the colon is emptied.Polyethylene glycol-electrolyte solution (PEG-ES) comes as a powder to mix with water and take by mouth.You have to drink one 8 ounce of PEG-ES every 10 or 15 minutes, and to continue drinking until your liquid bowel movements are clear.It will clear your bowel.,you can take Magnesium citrate also.It is also a osmotic diuretic with same effect as Polyethylene glycol.In case if it also does not help go for Digital evacuation.It involves the use of fingers to aid in the removal of stool from the rectum.Stool is emptied by gently inserting a finger into the rectum and removing.
As per dizziness is concerned plunging is a bit painful and stimulates the autonomous nervous system hence might cause dizziness or light headedness.

Use this and follow up with me that how much relieved she felt.

Regards!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 11 hours later
My friend has suffered with constipation in the past and that is why she takes Linzess. The Linzess works OK, but every once in awhile she will have an "episode" where she will go to the bathroom and "everything" will come out all at once. It is not liquid, just rather soft stool. It comes out quickly and then she will feel weak and light-headed later. She was wondering if the Linzess dose is too high or if there is an alternative.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
follow up.

Detailed Answer:
Going through her details, I would suggest her to try lactulose 10-15 ml once daily before going to bed for 3 days and revert back is she feeling better.Its over the counter.

Along with it soak ispaghula husk in lukewarm water and have it before going to bed.
She should feel much better after this.

Feel free to ask further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 3 hours later
What will the lactulose do for her? Ispaghula husk? Can she stop taking the Linzess?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up.

Detailed Answer:
As per my experience lactulose is a excellent bowel cleaner it not only loosens up the stool but also irritates the rectum to throw stool
out of anus.
Personally my experience(on my patients with linzess ate not that satisfactory.
Lactulose is very well tolerated by most of the patients and apart from that doses could be adjusted by patient as per their convinience.Its effective from a dose as low as 5 mg per day to as high as 60 mg per day.It depends on patient on what does are they comfortable.
Secondly its very safe and well tolerated by patients.

Isabghul husk when soaked in XXXXXXX warm water imbibes water and hence acts as a bulk forming agent.It add bulk to stool promote intestinal motility and would aid in defecation.Believe me its naturaland very helpful.

I won’t suggest her to stop linzess but would ask her to discontinue it for a week and try what i suggested।

Regards!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D