Have diabetes. Feeling cold and tired. Taking levethorixine 0.75. Diet to lower TSH level?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 28 Jan 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: My TSH level is 9,390. I am always cold and I am very tired. I have lost weight and I am watching my carbs because I have diabetes. I weigh 112 lbs. My throid on my right side was removed and I have been taking
levethorixine 0.75. The ENT doctor found nodules on my left thyroid. What foods should I eat to take down my TSH level.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 3 hours later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Your TSH level means that your thyroid gland does not produce enough of hormones. Lack of thyroid hormones results with whole body metabolism slow down. And this causes your symptoms.
Sometimes hypothyroidism is caused by low iodine supplementation, but not at your case. You can try foods XXXXXXX in iodine like fishes, sea foods, potatoes, carrots, however it wont bring any improvement.
What you should really do is to have levothyroxine dosage increased. Your thyroid nodules should be also checked with biopsy as you may need another surgery.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later
I eat a lot of fish and sea food. I do not eat potatoes because I am on a low
carb diet for diabetes. Is there anything else you can suggest.
Thank you.
YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 9 hours later
Hello!

There is nothing that can be done with diet only. The only solution for you is thyroid hormones supplementation. You should visit your doctor and have it prescribed.

Hope it will help.
Regards.