Got high and tight circumcision done. Should I get my frenulum removed?

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 21 Jan 2013 in Penis Problems
Question: I have just got a high and tight circumcision done about four days ago. But, upon insisting, my cosmetic surgeon refused to remove all the frenulum. He did a good job though, but said that I may find it really hard to recover without the frenulum since its the most sensitive portion of the penis. So, do you think if I should consult another doctor to get my frenulum removed or just leave it intact in order to heal on its own in the next few weeks or so. Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 3 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

Most surgeons indeed do not remove the entire frenulum during any type of circumcision, be it in infants or adults. This is because, as your cosmetic surgeon has told you, it can diminish the sexual sensitivity of the peins. This can happen in two ways:

- Firstly, during masturbation or sex, the frenulum glides over and slightly tugs on the under portion of the glans and this slight tugging and gliding sensation can be quite stimulating or pleasurable for most men.

- Secondly, many men report that the underside of the glans, where the frenulum is attached is the most erogenous zone of the penis. Sometimes, the artery in the frenulum supplies this little area in the glans surrounding the frenular attachment. So, when the frenulum is removed and this artery is lost, the blood upply to this area can be compromised, leading to decreased sensitivity.

Since you have mentioned that the surgery has been done well and you seem to be happy with the cosmetic part, I would suggest that you just leave the residual frenulum intact to heal on its own. There are cases, where people had opted for removal of the frenulum during circumcision, and have later on had problems and have got a frenular reconstructive surgery done. So, my opinion is that it's better to avoid such complications. If the surgery is done well, then there's not going to be any conspicuous scarring.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist & Sexologist
Follow up: Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 19 hours later
Thank you very much for your response. But, how long will it take my penis to get back to its normal size? I mean, how long will I have to wait for the surgical stitches to dissolve and then how much time will the swelling of the shaft stop? I have removed the bandage after 2 days and have begun applying Neosporin anti-inflammatory cream (as requested by my surgeon) to help in the healing process, which according to him would be over 10 days. Also, he has also recommended to leave the stitches alone as these would get automatically dissolved within the skin. Therefore, in this case, should I leave the sutures alone and allow them to dissolve on their own or else, go back to the surgeon or one of the male nurses within a few days time to remove them for me? I know I'm asking quite a few things here because I've been reading all sorts of experiences people have had after their circumcisions on the web and some of it seems to be extremely confusing and conflicting at times. I hope to hear an answer from you within the next few hours or so. Thank you again!
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 7 hours later
Hello again,

Usually, absorbable sutures will get absorbed in about 2 weeks. Nowadays, for most cosmetic procedures, absorbable sutures are only used, since this minimizes the chances of scarring.

You DON'T have to get the sutures removed at all because they will completely get dissolved and absorbed. It is natural for people to wonder whether the left back suture material will cause any problems, but don't worry, the suture material is designed so that, it stays intact for a short period keeping the surgical wound together and gradually gets dissolved completely as the healing gets complete.

The inflamation, pain and discomfort should subside within a few days, and I would say that by 2 weeks time the healing process would be almost complete. You can continue to use the antiseptic power and the anti-inflamatory cream for a few more days, to promote the healing process.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist & Sexologist