Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
197 Doctors are Online

Getting blood during intercourse. Had pap test which found abnormal cells. Cause and cure?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 828 Questions
A number of times I would bleed for a week after sex, and it wasn't my period. Second last time it happened a large blood clot came out, after pulling the tampon out. And last time I had sex no bleeding occurred, whats going on. a year ago that i had a pap test, -they found unnormal cells , Then I had a follow up Pap test 6months ago which was clear. And I've been having this problem for a couple of months now.. Apart from last sex I had.
Posted Sat, 30 Mar 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query on health care magic.

Before answering your query can you provide some more information.
1. Did you get your polyps removed. If yes, what was the size and when did you get it removed?
2. Are you on any hormones or contraception?
3. Is bleeding associated with pain abdomen.
4. When was your last scan? What was the impression?

Waiting for your reply.
Dr Nilofer
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Getting blood during intercourse. Had pap test which found abnormal cells. Cause and cure? 9 hours later
Yes polyps were removed, first one was in 2007 and was big,the 2nd one was in 2011 and was a smaller size, both were benign. Early 2012 I had an appointment which had the reading of abnormal cells so I saw a gynaecologist and he found nothing. Then I had the follow up in August and the results came back clear. Seems only after sex I get aching for a day of two. And not on any contraception
Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 4 hours later
Thanks for the query.

Pap smear is very sensitive in detecting pathology.
Since repeat pap was normal, there is nothing to be concerned about.

Polyps are known for recurrence.
I recommend you to get a hysteroscopy done for diagnosis of recurrent polyp.

Aches following sex is a normal phenomenon. you can take any of the NSAID'S for pain relief.
Hope this helps,
Feel free to ask follow up question.
Dr Nilofer
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor