Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
150 Doctors are Online

Experiencing passing out from years and it happens during periods. Irregular periods due to menopause. What kind of tests are needed?

Mar 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 5968 Questions
I have been passing out for 6 years and it seems to happen mostly when on my period which are not regular due to menopause I think what's the cause
Posted Fri, 1 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 5 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing to us with your health concern.
You are experiencing what are known as vasovagal syncopes.
THis is basically the technical term for passing out after feeling jelly legged and dizzy.
This happens due to overactivity of the nervous system, when the heart is temporarily unable to pump out enough blood to the brain.
THis is not serious or life threatening generally.
It happens in some women due to the pain and the hormonal changes when the periods are going on.
IT is heightened by emotional distress, over full stomach, warm and hot stuffy surroundings, constipation, not getting enough sleep or minor fever .
Sometimes taking OTC painkillers like Ibuprofen during periods helps .
If this doesnt work, taking birth control pills is an option.
IT would regulate your cycles and also control the syncopal symptoms.
Meanwhile, make sure that you do stay hydrated during your periods.
This would include drinking lots of water.
Avoid heavy meals or binge eating.
Stay away from alcohol, smoke and caffeine.
Have light meals or fluids every 2 - 3 hours.
Stay in a cool and comfortable environment.
ANy kind of ' passing out ' should always be looked into first by a Neurologist to ensure that there is no other pathology in the brain.
All the best.
Please feel free to ask for further clarifications.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Experiencing passing out from years and it happens during periods. Irregular periods due to menopause. What kind of tests are needed? 7 hours later
What kind of tests and treatments are needed for vasovagal syncope
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 9 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
A neurologist will be able to diagnose vasovagal syncope.
Common tests include screening tilt table test, blood volume determination, hemodynamic testing and autonomic nervous system testing.
Most often, the clinical history suffices to establish a diagnosis.
Regarding the treatment, I have already detailed it in the above answer.
WIsh you lots of luck.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor