Can repolarization on ECG cause a sudden death?

Cardiologist
Question
Hi I'm worried that early repolarization can cause sudden death I've read so much about this online, I had it on my ECG I don't understand why doctors are not concerned
Mon, 14 May 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome on HCM!

I understand your concern and would like to explain that your attention on early repolarization is rational.

If early repolarization on ECG appears in the context of early repolarization syndrome (specific ECG changes with an episode of life-threatening arrhythmia or aborted cardiac arrest), then it may be concerning.

Coming to this point, early repolarization syndrome needs some criteria to be confirmed: specific ECG changes, history of syncope or cardiac arrhythmia, similar family history and possible conclusive results from genetic testing.

Furthermore, there are numerous clinical conditions that may mimic an early repolarization pattern.

So, a medical specialist should be very careful when concluding on early repolarization syndrome.

I would like to directly review your resting ECG in order to give a more exact professional opinion.

In case you have any available ECG recordings, could you upload it here for a second review?

I remain at your disposal for any further discussions.

Hope to have been helpful to you!

Wishing you a pleasant weekend!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri

Follow-up: Can repolarization on ECG cause a sudden death? 3 hours later
Hi thx for your reply, I'm really sorry I don't actually have a copy

Can it actually cause arrhythmias

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
My opinion as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

As I already explained, before concluding on the risk of potentially cardiac arrhythmia it is necessary to first differentiate other causes that may perfectly mimic early repolarization syndrome.

That's why I am asking you that if you ever will have any available ECG reports, please upload it here fora second professional opinion.

Nevertheless, I would like to reassure you that if you haven't ever experienced any previous episodes of fainting or syncope( loss of conscience) or any previous documented episodes of cardiac arrhythmia, as well as any known family history of cardiac arrhythmia or cardiac arrest, you are not at any increased risk of cardiac arrhythmia compared to everother healthy individuals.

So relax and don't worry about it!

Wishing good health,
Dr.Iliri

Follow-up: Can repolarization on ECG cause a sudden death? 48 minutes later
Thx very much

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome!

Detailed Answer:
I am glad to have been helpful to you!

If you will have any other questions in the future, feel free to ask me directly.

I would be happy to answer to all of your questions!

Wishing all the best,

Dr.Iliri