Owl Image

Experiencing hair loss. Test showed TSH 5.5, Tg Ab 181, TPO Ab 30.96. Any advice?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2012
Sep 2012

Question
Hi Doc

I am 36 yes old female and experiencing hair loss since a severe flu attack 6 months ago
Just checked on my thyroid and find levels @ TSH 5.5 ; Tg Ab 181 ; TPO Ab 30.96 ; T3 Total 2.57 ; T4 Free 19.37 - Pls advs if this could be the reason fr my hair fall and is this level alarming
Await your advs ! Thanks

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 3 hours later
Thank you for posting a question.

Firstly, I would like to highlight some points from your symptoms and investigation reports
1.     Severe flu attack 6 months ago.
2.     Hair loss for this 6 months.
3.     TSH is normal.
4.     Anti-thyroglobulin antibody (TG Ab) is increased.
5.     Anti-thyroid peroxidase antibody (TPO Ab) is in borderline level.
6.     Free T4 is highly elevated.

From the above points, it is clear that you are suffering from hyperthyroidism. Though, TSH should be decreased in hyperthyroidism, in early days, it may be in normal level.

Presence of antibodies, and the symptoms indicates possibility of Hashimoto’s thyroiditis.

But, this report should be corroborated with the clinical, radiological and cytological findings to reach to a specific diagnosis. For this, you have to do the followings –
1.     Do an ultrasound scan of thyroid for any enlargement, cystic change or any other abnormality.
2.     If, any obvious solid area is found then Fine needle aspiration cytology should be done. It is the most important diagnostic tool in Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis.
3.     Consult with an endocrinologist for a thorough clinical examination, for ordering the necessary investigations as I previously told, and for management accordingly with suitable anti-thyroid drugs.

Lastly, this could be the cause of your hair fall. Though the levels are alarming, but the condition is treatable, if the diagnosis of Hashimoto's thyroiditis is confirmed.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.