Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Endocervix Curettage found in colonoscopy. Abnormal pap smear showing LSIL. HPV negative. HPV test repetition needed?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12681 Questions

I just turned 30 years old last month (September). In July, i had my first abnormal pap that showed LSIL. I was advised to go for a colposcopy and the results came back as: Endocervix Curettage - Benign Endocervix while the 2 cervical biopsies came back as Squamous Metaplasia. I was not given an HPV test at this time. My previous pap which was two years prior came back normal and i was tested for HPV high and low risk and all came back negative. I have been with the same partner this whole time. My question is, does the LSIL from the pap plus the squamous metaplasia from the cervical biopsies mean i definitely have HPV? Should i ask for an HPV test? My gyno advised that i come back in six months for a repeat pap and she said that my results were great. I know squamous metaplasia can occur for other reasons, but is that what caused my pap to come out LSIL or could we be missing something?? I have quit smoking for the most part and am taking much better care of myself in hopes of having a normal pap in a few months.
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.
Having a cervical metaplasia is most commonly associated with HPV. But it is not the only factor which is responsible for the metaplastic changes in the cervix. You can ask your gynecologist for an HPV test and if it comes negative then i would advise you to get yourself vaccinated against HPV infection.
Going for a repeat PAP smear after six months will only help us know if the metaplastic changes have progressed or not.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Sexual Diseases

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor