EKG showed normal sinus with septal infarct. What is the meaning?

Dr. Shruti Rijhwani

Rheumatologist

Posted on Thu, 21 Nov 2013 in Heart Attack
Question: Just had an ekg. Showed normal sinus with septal infarct, age undetermined. I am a 66 yr old female with Type 1 diabetes. My blood pressure is 106/70. Have never had chest pain, shortness of breath or any other symptoms related to a MI. Choles. is good as is the hdl and ldl. A1C is 5.6. Ekg was ordered for pre-op.
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Madam, Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you that in diabetic patients it is not necessary that the cardiac pain of myocardial infarction will be felt because diabetes is associated with autonomic neuropathy so most diabetic people have silent infarctions . Plus sometimes the infarction does not present with typical cardiac features specially when it is mild but that can show in ECG so remains an incidental finding . Take care. Dr. Shruti