Owl Image

Does organ removal make one side shorter than the other?

Owl Image
Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Question
Does having an organ removed make one side shorter than the other?
Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
hi and welcome to hcm

Detailed Answer:
if you meant on organ removal such as liver,kidneys,heart or lings then it want cause size changes. The place where organ is removed will be ovegrowth with fibrous tissue so there wont be some hole there and it wont effect body weight or height.wish you good health.feel free to ask. Regards

Follow-up: Does organ removal make one side shorter than the other? 2 hours later
Thanx. So does a tumor that produce testosterone produce cortisol?

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
hi

Detailed Answer:
It is possible but not common. usually just one type of hormon is secreted and this is seen in adrenal and ovarian tumors. Actually, if cortisole is secreted then it will cause supression of testosterone and reverse.

Follow-up: Does organ removal make one side shorter than the other? 31 hours later
What would cortisol do to an unborn fetus?

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
hi

Detailed Answer:
Increased dosages of cortisole in mothers blood would have certain bad effects on pregnancy and fetus which can be more or less serious,but usually it will cause just lower birth weight

Follow-up: Does organ removal make one side shorter than the other? 3 hours later
So what are the other bad affects?

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
hi

Detailed Answer:
It depends on type of cortisole value disoeder.the first scenario is abortion or premature birth but this rarely happens. It may lead to disoeders of placenta and reduced blood flow in uterus so baby would develop slower. It could also cause hormonal imbalance in baby and supression of steroid hormones so some sexual characteristics could be underdeveloped.

Follow-up: Does organ removal make one side shorter than the other? 27 hours later
Do adrenal gland control weight? If doctor test for gonnarehea is that the only thing they test for?

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
hi and welcome to hcm

Detailed Answer:
Adrenal glands produce steroid hormones,cortisole and aldosterone which have role in metabolism of fats and sugar so it regulate weight together with other parts of endocrine system. Any hormonal imbalance may lead to weight changes.
Gonnorhea testing can be done separately but usually gonnorhea and clamydia are tested in one swab test while siphilis and pseudomonas require different testing.

Follow-up: Does organ removal make one side shorter than the other? 11 hours later
So does having one adrenal gland make one side of body stronger? Also I read there is a nerve or something connected directly to your brain from each adrenal gland so if there is one adrenal gland is it only one side of brain that relieves a message or does the one work for both sides?

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 2 days later
Brief Answer:
hi

Detailed Answer:
One side of body cant be stronger since this healthy adrenal gland sends hormones to whole body.
when one adrenal gland is removed, then the other one takes over its function completely and then all brain neural signals are diverted into this healthy adrenal gland.

Follow-up: Does organ removal make one side shorter than the other? 28 hours later
So how would i tell if the adrenal gland is not working well? Also if there is excessive weight gain is it realated to having just one adrenal gland?

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 46 hours later
Brief Answer:
hi

Detailed Answer:
Adrenal function is evaluated by measuring hormones which are produced in glands. Steroid hormones,cortisole,aldosteron and other metabolites in urine. Also ct scan can verify morphology of adrenal glands. Both weight loss and gain can be sign of adrenal insufficiency depending which part of gland is affected and which hormone lacked.

Follow-up: Does organ removal make one side shorter than the other? 47 hours later
So if testisterone goes up does cortisol get higher too but not super high bcause i know it reverses

So the testosterone affects stay after its all gone

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
hi

Detailed Answer:
high cortisole will cause lowering of testosterone levels. but high testosteron will have just slight effect to cortisole secretion. adrenal gland excrete small amounts of testosterone. most of it is produced in testicles.

Follow-up: Does organ removal make one side shorter than the other? 59 minutes later
So very high testosterone will secrete a little cortisol causing it to be higher than normal?

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 47 hours later
Brief Answer:
hi

Detailed Answer:
Yes, testosteron causes negative feedback to hipotalamus in brain and then it sends signals to reduce cortisole secetion. But later, if high testosteron levels persist,then hipotalamus will adapt on these new circumstances and cortisole levels will get back to normal.