Does my report suggest presence of tuberculosis?

Dr. Jyothi B L

Pathologist and Microbiologist

Posted on Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: Nature of specimen: Right cervical lymphnode

Microscope examination: Fine needle aspiration smears are moderately cellular showing a mixed population of lymphocytes ,histiocytes, and tangible body macrophages.

Impression:

Features suggestive of reactive lymphadenitis.
is it belongs to TB?
Sir

please give me your sugestion on this
Answered by Dr. Jyothi B L 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No, it does not belong to TB

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking.
I am Dr. Jyothi BL and I will be answering your query.

Reactive lymphadenitis is not seen in tuberculosis. It is a feature of acute infections and not chronic infections like tuberculosis.
Tuberculosis will have granulomas and caseous necrosis, which are not present in the present FNAC.
Negative for tuberculosis.

Any further queries, happy to help again.

Dr. Jyothi BL
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Jyothi B L 35 minutes later
Dear Madem,

Thanks for reply.

Actually doctor under line in the report for tangible body macrophages.

So he specified some medicines for TB course.

But actula report is what i have metioned.could you please help me on this report. every body was tensioned.

So based on your answer i confirmed no TB right?

Please tell me

Thanks
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Jyothi B L 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No tuberculosis. Any other test done?

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for asking again.
No need to be tensed.
Tingible body macrophages are usually a feature of reactive lymphadenitis.

Based on FNAC report - no tuberculosis

However, If any additional tests or symptoms are there like

1. Sputum examination for acid fast bacilli or tuberculous bacilli

2. Mantoux test

3. Do you have fever, loss of weight or cough with or without sputum for more than 15 days

more detailed evaluation might be necessary.

Dr. Jyothi BL

Follow up: Dr. Jyothi B L 27 minutes later
Dear Madem,

Thanks again.

Only one test was done for my daughter. That is only one report.No fever and caugh.Two weeks back fever came and used some medicines .it was cured.littlle bit cold.

When she got the fever and cold her head getting heated. same ting we told to Children doctor.He suggested above test. and mentioned report status.

He was underlined Tingible body macrophages and told some TB infection was attacked .
Use 6 months course medicine.

Same report explained anothe children doctor thatis a common problen while getting the infection.
So we are worried which doctor i can belive.
How to solve this issue.

Please help me
Thanks
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Jyothi B L 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Wait and retest after two months, before treatment

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for asking.
Sorry for your present problem.

I can reassure you that tingible body macrophages is one of the most important feature of reactive germinal center of lymphnode in reactive lymphadenitis.

Tingible body macrophages are not a feature of tuberculosis. This is definitely not tuberculosis.

Do not start therapy of 6 months, at such a small age without evidence of tuberculosis.

Based on the present report alone, nobody should start tuberculosis therapy.

Wait for a month or two before starting tuberculosis therapy, and if the lymphnode is still present, get another test done. If positive granuloma seen, then think about talking to another doctor, before starting therapy.

Hope it helps.
If you do not have any further clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Dr. Jyothi BL
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad