How can intermittent fever, running nose and cold be treated?

Dr. Arun

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Mon, 14 May 2018 in Child Health
Question: Hi Doctor,
My Son is 6 year old and getting fever atleast once a month from past 6 months. He is having running nose or cold from past 2 months. However, as this seems to be a repeating pattern, would like to check if there are any precautions that we can take or change his food habits. Appreciate your guidance and help in this regard
Answered by Dr. Arun 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Try flu vaccination and basic tests

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Based on your description it seems your child has frequent infections.
I would suggest following tips
1. Most of these would be viral infection which is very common at this age. It is better to get flu vaccination every year, this will prevent frequent viral infections which vary every year.
2. Basic tests to rule out infection and allergies like complete blood count, chest x-ray, IgE levels, Mantoux test are essential. Discuss with your doctor about getting these tests along with any other tests deemed necessary after clinical examination.
There is no harm in trying monteleukast daily for a few days which I usually prescribe to my patients.
Wishing your child speedy recovery.
Dr Arun
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj