Can HIV be contracted through skin contact with another's blood?
Your HIV risk is negligible.
Welcome to HCM.
Thanks for posting your query.
First of all some one's blood is not necessarily an HIV infected person's blood. If it is true you have no risk for HIV at all.
Even if we consider that it was an infected person's blood, HIV can not enter an intact skin.
Contact with someone's blood 8 hours after the testing site has negligible risk as per CDC, XXXXXXX USA. (https://www.cdc.gov/hiv/risk/estimates/riskbehaviors.html) (http://www.thebody.com/content/68450/hiv-transmission-risk-chart.html) As per the above references, even a percutaneous needle stick injury carry a risk 23 per 10000 exposures, not all the exposures.
Contact with a drop of blood has no risk. But over the testing site the risk can be taken as negligible. If it has a high risk, by this time, all the medical lab workers throughout the world would have become HIV positive as they would have come across such situations so frequently. Thank God, it is no so.
Testing for HIV will relieve the mental tension.
You had not mentioned anything about your TB test. Whether it is Mantoux test or blood drawn for some other TB testing.?
If it is over the Mx test area or needle prick site then your risk is negligible. It the blood dropped in normal skin then your HIV risk is almost 'nil'.
When the risk is negligible there is nothing wrong to have HIV testing 12 weeks after the incident to clear our doubt and rule out this negligible possibility. It will relieve your unnecessary mental tension.
Patient Says: I was also scared that it could be rubbed off his clothes onto my site.
HIV risk is negligible only
That blood spilled over forearm and clothes is not necessarily a HIV positive blood.
Blood spilled over forearm and clothes has no risk for HIV, except the part of forearm with an inflamed or pricked site which has negligible risk for HIV transmission if it is a positive blood.
Dr S Murugan
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Odds of contracting hiv
- Minor cut with hiv contact
- Chances of contracting hiv from body to body contact
- Contract hiv shallow penetration
- Risk of contracting hiv virus
- What are the chances of contracting hiv through physical contact
- How much blood to contract hiv trough urethra
- Hiv contraction probability
- Chances of contracting hiv
- Is it possible to contract hiv from genital contact
- Itching on penis and sides of it. What medication is recommended?
- Red rashes appeared on penis head. Tested negative for STD. On...
- Red burning scrotum. Taking Gabapin with no relief. Need immediate cure
- Hair fall, burning, hurting, itchy scalp with intermittent occurrence of...
- Itching sensation around vaginal area, used wipes. Butt is itching,...
- Dark spot on organ, rashes, itchy at night, may be syphilis
- Stomach rash, itchy, not taking medication, no change in diet. Any...
- Small rounds in skin below neck, sometimes itchy. What medication should...
- Diagnosed with molluscum contagiosum in pubic region, cryotherapy done....
- How soon am I contagious after having contact with herpes? How long...