• question-icon

Does MS Contin work better than Dilaudid?

Posted on Tue, 1 Aug 2017 in Pain Management
Question: I am having bilateral knee replacement and became extremely sick on my test dose of dilaudid. Now I'm supposed to test MS contin. I know I will have problems with this narcotic as well. Are opiates the only way to go?
Answered by Dr. Matt Wachsman 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
There are a few possibilities.

Detailed Answer:
(yeah, me too, on the narcotics. everyone in my entire family).
First, there are a few different narcotics and tramadol is chemically quite different. It might be worth a shot.
Furthermore, aspirin like drugs are often good. TORADOL IV has been quite good. One could try morphine as it is quite dissimilar to dilaudid BUT, it shares all the same narcotic effects with it and often causes nausea and slight itching that is due to the narcotic action and is neither an allergic reaction nor all that peculiar to individuals (these are due to the drugs actions which occur on everyone's nausea and histamine centers.. everyone gets it; just most get enough benefit to override the down sides). Not my family though. We go with aspirin like drugs, maybe sedatives, even marijuana in a few family members.
Follow up: Dr. Matt Wachsman 1 hour later
Thank-you, very helpful, glad to know there are others out there who don't like narcotics.
Answered by Dr. Matt Wachsman 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are quite welcome

Detailed Answer:
and I'm just neutral on the subject. About 5% of us just don't get any effect from them. Believe me, with the kidney stone I would just as soon have them work! and about 5% of people they work way too well ("cat reaction. 5% of people and most cats get extra energy from narcotics that make most people sleepy.")
But, today, the person with bad knees on blood thinners I would rather have on a low dose narcotic than an aspirin like drug that increases bleeding risk. The other person with epilepsy can't take tramadol because it increases seizures. Periodically, medical groups freak out at tylenol's potential to cause liver problems (it does, but only with taking very large overdoses of it). So, each medicine has to have it's pro's and con's weighed.
Dr. Matt Wachsman

Addiction Medicine Specialist