What causes nasal congestion and cough after recovering from flu?
post viral cough can occur in some persons
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic
Cough can persist for up to 6 weeks after the flu.
It is called post viral or post infectious cough
Nasal congestion can linger in some persons though this is more likely if there is a previous history of allergies
The use of a anti histamine decongestant combination may help both symptoms eg zyrtec d, allegra d, claritine d, benadryl d.
You can try using one of these for at least 10 to 14 days and see if this would help.
A topical nasal spray such as nasonex, flonase, rhinocort, may also help as well.
If there any worsening during this time period or no improvement after or you remain concerned, then you should be seen
I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes sneezing and nasal congestion every morning
- What is the cause and treatment for nasal congestion
- Rebound nasal congestion causes
- Acute nasal congestion causes
- Nasal congestion causing tears
- Reflex nasal congestion causes
- Nasal congestion causes
- What causes rebound nasal congestion after stopping otrivin
- What causes sever nasal congestion
- Chronic nasal congestion causes