What causes nasal congestion and cough after recovering from flu?

Question
I had the flu a month ago. I no longer have a fever (feeling loads better) but I still have lingering Nasal Congestion and a cough. I was wondering when if/when I should schedule an appointment with a doctor or if I need to let the lingering symptoms run their course.
Tue, 24 Apr 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
post viral cough can occur in some persons

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Cough can persist for up to 6 weeks after the flu.
It is called post viral or post infectious cough

Nasal congestion can linger in some persons though this is more likely if there is a previous history of allergies

The use of a anti histamine decongestant combination may help both symptoms eg zyrtec d, allegra d, claritine d, benadryl d.
You can try using one of these for at least 10 to 14 days and see if this would help.

A topical nasal spray such as nasonex, flonase, rhinocort, may also help as well.

If there any worsening during this time period or no improvement after or you remain concerned, then you should be seen

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions