Does Digoxin increase mortality rate?
Ps my mother does have enlarged heart, heart failure (think it is diastolic heart failure but not sure), afib, hbp, and diabetes.
Wattchman device insertion if money is not a issue.
You should go for The WATCHMAN Left Atrial Appendage Closure Device.It is a first-of-its-kind, proven alternative to commonly-used anti arrythmic like dogoxin(which by themself can cause all type of arrythmias secondly no need to use blood thinner warfarin to prevent stoke in patients with atrial fibrillation).
The WATCHMAN device is about the size of a quarter and shaped like a parachute. It is implanted into the heart to close off the left atrial appendage (LAA), a blind pouch of heart tissue.
The device is inserted into the heart through a catheter placed into a vein in the leg during a one-time, minimally invasive procedure in a cardiac catheterization lab. By closing off the LAA, patient’s risk of arrythmias abd stroke is reduced and it may probably over time allow them to stop taking medicines at all.
Digoxin is not a good choice for a elderly women.
Almost all sorts of arrythmia can be precipitated by it also.
It requires strict monitoring even on low doses.
Alternative drug is Amiodarone much safer then digoxin.
Can they increase flecanide dosage. She is taking 100 mg twice a day. What about rythmol? Heard calcium blockers may not be good for heart or heart failure?
Considering your worries about side effects i would like to share that
Based on the Cardiac Arrhythmia Suppression Trial study results, flecainide is not recommended in old patients with structural heart disease due to highesh proarrhythmic risk.
Arrythmogenic potential of flecainide is highest much more then any other drug.
Digoxin 125mcg is a low dose and can be given safely.
Monitoring to be done every 3 month.
Add verapamil don't worry its much better than increasing flecainide.
Answer to query.
1)No but considering her age doses should not be increased.
2)Digoxin low dose and verapamil are both good choice.If she is doing good on dig then let it be otherwise remove dig and introduce verapamil.Safety index with verapamil is much higher as conpared to digitalis.
3)Absolutely.Please don’t go through un necessary rubbish on google.Very safe,highly effective unless patient has severely decompensated heart.
Safest among all three we discussed above.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Mortality rate at 350 pounds
- Septoplasty mortality rate
- Mortality rate of mononucleosis
- Elephantiasis mortality rate
- Mortality rate in dercums disease
- Brain tumor mortality rate
- What is the mortality rate of gangrene
- Under 5 mortality rate
- Mortality rate for tetanus
- What is the mortality rate of elephantiasis
- Can swelling in the legs cause any complications based on the attached...
- What causes breathlessness while lying down as per the attached reports?
- What do these lab reports indicate?
- Does low BP cause cold sensation in the feet?
- Suggest treatment for swelling and foul smelling liquid discharge in the...
- What are the symptoms of angioedema?
- How much ghee should be a part of one's daily diet?
- What causes increased heart rate while having Hashimoto's disease?
- Suggest anti-inflammatory medication to be taken along with a blood thinner
- What causes pain in the left hand and upper back post acute MI treatment?