Suggest treatment for loose stools and high blood pressure while treating diabetes

Diabetologist
Question
I am 57 yrs male type 2 diabetic on metformin 500 one per day. Sugsr under control. I ofter get stomach upset and loose motions. Bp 140 / 90 . Not coming down. On olzix ch 40 .
Presscribe good meficines for bp and loose motions .
Wed, 23 May 2018 in Diabetes

Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suggestion

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
I am Dr Mittal.
I have read your message.
I think I can help you.

First, the abdominal symptoms can be due to
a. a side effect of metformin.
b. a bacterial overgrowth.
In the first case, you need to change metformin to an extended release formulation or change the drug completely.
In the second case, you need to take antibiotics / probiotics as and when the symptoms develop. Rifaximin and probiotic are good option.

As for BP. You are on good medicine. Salt and fat restriction , daily physical activity and control of weight are essential measures. Addition of metoprolol can be considered if your physician think it's appropriate and there are no other contraindications to it's use.

I have tried to make it as simple as possible.
Feel free to contact me on the subject as needed.
Best of luck. Dr Mittal