Do tingling sensation, weakness, depression and TSH level of 4.76 suggest hypothyroidism?

Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai

Endocrinologist

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Hello doc. I ave recently been experiencing a number of alarming symptoms including tingling sensations, GI problems, a lot of twitching in my abdomen, heart palpitations, feeling of weakness, and depression. I have a lot of anxiety on top of the depression which may account for some of the symptoms I'm experiencing. This was all kicked off by a fainting spell while having a BM a few weeks ago. At the ER I had my TSH level checked and it was at a 4.76. Is this alarming? Does it constitute hypothyroidism, and should it be treated at that level? Could it cause symptoms at that level?
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Full thyroid profile.

Detailed Answer:
Good day,
Welcome to health care magic. Noted your concern.
I totally agree with you that many of those symptoms could be related to anxiety/depression itself.
TSH of 4.76 is not alarming. I hope your PCP will arrange for a full thyroid profile when you are well. Full thyroid profile include Free T4, TSH and anti TPO antibody.

Your TSH is just above normal, which happens in stress and when recovering from an acute illness. This is usually reversible and I wouldn't rush to start treatment. I hope you do not have an enlargement of thyroid. I would appreciate if you could write back to me with Free T4, a repeat TSH and Anti TPO reports. Do these tests in the morning hours and when you are well ( not suffering from any acute illness).
Binu