Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with shingles and strep throat. Having chest pain and dizziness. Does sinusitis cause this?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1109 Questions
Have been ill for 61 days. After 25 days was diagnosed with shingles and strep throat. During treatment developed wet cough that wouldn't go away, had severe chest pain that was sharp, shot up from stomach, into upper left quadrant, collar bone and side of neck. Only lasted for ten minutes, could barely talk, move, breathe. Also developed dizziness to the severity that I wrecked my car three different times. I went back to the Dr.yesterday and they said these symptoms are from sinusitis(which I get all the time and have never wrecked my car or clutched my chest over). Does sinusitis cause this?
Posted Wed, 20 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 27 minutes later
Hello, Sinusitis could cause nasal,ear,and stomach problems. This could be because the infection in the sinuses fall back in the throat and cause swelling at the eustachian tubs area which is connected to the middle part of ear and because of that there can be negative pressure in the ear and there can be dizziness because of that.Then further there can be snoring associated and so there will be more of the reflux disease.In the chest also there could be associated tightness. To see for the infection in the sinuses you must get done CT scan of nose and paranasal sinuses.Then you may require antibiotics and decongestants. In doubt do reply., Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Diagnosed with shingles and strep throat. Having chest pain and dizziness. Does sinusitis cause this? 22 minutes later
I appreciate your response, I am concerned that sharp chest pain and inability to speak is generally not associated with sinus infections. Usually a tightness or dull almost bruised feeling in the chest particularly the sternum is my normal experience with sinusitis. I have no doubt that I do have a sinus infection. I guess I would like to know if you would recommend seeing a specialist...if so cardiac? Or do I count my blessings and hope the chest issue is a sinus infection or neuro pain from the bought of shingles? Smoker, frequent undiagnosed high BP, occasional chest pains that do not last long, most frequent chest pain severe and accompanied with sinus infection ...Would this patient be recommended to a cardiac specialist for preventative diagnostics or would you only treat the sinus infection? If you need more information, I've had two abnormal EKGs over the last ten years. One during an allergic reaction, the other during a caffeine overdose. I know doctors usually stand behind each other's diagnosis, however I am self pay, can only afford urgent care clinics and cannot get a doctor to look at me while they're talking to me or while I am talking to them. The most professional service I've had in the last year was with a NP asside from getting these sinus infections 2 to 5 times a year and never experiencing chest pain of this magnitude, his manner indicated that I was being seen as less than an individual. I'm worried about my heart, do I need to be concerned?
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 26 hours later
Brief Answer: You need to rule out cardiac illness too Detailed Answer: Hello, In the back ground of undiagnosed high blood pressure and smoking history it is necessary that you consult a cardiologist and rule out cardiac illness. So the line of action could be that first you see a cardiologist and then if its all right from that part then you should take treatment for sinus infection. Besides cardiac illness, reflux disease is a close possibility too. It can be very well taken care of with proton pump inhibitor drugs such as prilosec OTC. So do not be concerned if cardiac evaluation comes normal. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor